Closing Date and Time: Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:00 PM Mountain Time
Featuring the collection of Dr. Aubrey Joffe (Part Two)
To order the printed list, please send $10 USD for addresses in the U.S., $15 USD for overseas addresses.
This catalog contains over 800 pictures. NOTE: IMAGES WILL OPEN IN A NEW BROWSER WINDOW OR TAB
Catalog Descriptions and Research by Bill Rosenblum Images and Layout by Rita Rosenblum and John Lavender Website development by Brian Rosenblum Help we couldn't do without by David Donald, Chuck Mitton, Chuck Mattson, Ziva Schwartzman, Ira Rezak.
CONTENTSINTRODUCTION Terms of Sale
Bidding in Our Mailbid Sale
No Buyer's Fee
Lot Viewing Schedule
Highlights of Auction 38D
PART ONE: WORLD WIDE MATERIAL Ancient Jewish Coins (1-55)
City Coins of the Holy Land (56-84)
Ancient Greek Coins (85-119)
Ancient Roman Coins (120-137)
Other Ancients (138-153)
World Coins, Medals & Tokens (154-379)
World Paper Money (380-475)
PART TWO: JUDAIC AND HOLY LAND RELATED MATERIAL Medallic Judaica & Holy Land Material (476-640)
Israel State, Commissioned & Presentation Medals (641-749)
Paper Judaica and Holy Land Material (750-841)
Holocaust Memorabilia (842-879)
TERMS OF SALE (back to top)
1. All bids are per lot as numbered in this catalog.
2. All bids are strictly cash (cash, check, money order, bank draft, bank wire or approved credit card) in U.S. dollars. See Term #10 for credit cards terms. All checks must be written in US dollars on a US Bank. We no longer accept payment via Paypal. Bidders are responsible for any and all bank charges for bank wires etc.
3. Mailbids sales are not approval sales. The bidder must assume responsibility to pay for all lots bid on. Lots may be returned for reason of authenticity or improper description only within 3 days of receipt. Lots examined prior to the sale may not be returned for any reason except authenticity. Late payers forfeit any return privileges.
4. All materials are guaranteed genuine, unless noted otherwise.
5. Bid sheets must be signed.
6. We reserve the right to reject any bid.
7. Title does not pass until lots are paid for in full.
8. Postage, insurance & handling are extra. A minimum of $5 per shipment will be charged.
9. In some cases we may have duplicate lots of identical description and these may be substituted to under bidders.
10. Mastercard, Visa, Discover and American Express are accepted for payment. However an additional 3% is charged for use of said card in mailbid sales. Please note that we must be able to confirm your billing address if you use a credit card. For those of you overseas this may be difficult so we ask that you include a numismatic reference.
11. Digital photos, scans, black & white or color copies are available for most single lots in the sale. Photos, scans and black and white copies are $1 per item, while color copies are $2 per side. Payable in advance, please. In most cases digital images sent via email are free. Please do not wait until the last week to ask us for these.
12. All lots with 6 or more items are sold as is and are not returnable.
13. Invoices are due and payable upon receipt of invoices, unless arrangements are made prior to the closing of the sale. Late payers forfeit any rights of return. All invoices over 30 days overdue are subject to an interest charge of 1 1/2% per month.
14. There is a $25 charge for bad checks.
15. In case of tie bids, the earliest bid received will win the lot.
16. Phone, fax, mail and email bids are accepted, however phone bids, should be confirmed in writing. All email bids will be confirmed by a return email.
17. Estimates are just that, estimates. Lots may and do, sell for above and below estimate. Please bid what the lot is worth to you. High bids will be reduced to 5 to 10% over the 2nd high bid.
18. Bidders are responsible for errors in bidding, please check your bid sheet carefully.
19. There are no buyer's fees in our sales.
20. All overseas packages will be shipped via registered or express mail at buyer's risk.
21. Bidders not known to us must provide us with satisfactory credit references or pay a deposit as determined by the auctioneer.
22. Prices realized will be published after the sale and will be mailed to all consignors, subscribers and competitive bidders. Others may receive a copy for $5.
23. Slabbed (Encapsulated) coins graded and certified by PCGS, NGC, ICG or ANACS may not be returned for grading reasons.
24. The minimum acceptable bid on any lot is at least 60% of the estimate. In some cases a reserve may be higher than that, but it will never be higher than the estimate. We have made every effort to make the estimates realistic and conservative. In addition no bids on coins and medals of precious metal lots will be accepted that are below the melt value of the item. For our auction purposes we are defining precious metals as being of silver, gold, platinum or palladium. The price of gold as we write this is $860 per troy ounce and silver is $11. As you are well aware the markets are in a state of turmoil and these prices will probably be different when you read this and then again different when the sale closes. There is no platinum or palladium in this sale.
WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS? (back to top)
If you immediately went to the back of the catalog and looked for pictures and they weren't there, do not fret. All the images are up on our website at www.rosenlbumcoins.com. They are all in color (or should be) and there are many more of them then usual.
After a number of years of debating the question and seeing the costs of mailing and photography escalate we decided to take a step into the 21st century and put the pictures on our website only and not in the catalog. We weighed this decision carefully and thoughtfully but we could no longer justify the time and the costs involved in having a printed catalog with photographs.
However we now have almost all single lots photographed in color on our website. For those of you who have access to a computer but not the internet or for those of you who want "to keep" the photographs we will try to make a read only disc available of the catalog for $10.
BIDDING IN OUR MAILBID SALE (back to top)
We will stop taking bids at 9:00 PM on November 13th or when our phone and/or Fax stops ringing for 10 minutes. Please do not wait until the last minute and get shut out. In every sale a number of bidders could not get through on the last night.
We suggest you bid above estimate if you want an item as high bids will be reduced. Our bid sheets offer several bidding options that can save you money, optimize your bids and see that you get the lots that you really want. If you are unsure of how to use these options, please give us a call and we will be more than happy to explain them to you.
Please keep in mind that in some cases there may be unpublished reserves set either by the consignor or the cataloger and no bids of less than 60% of estimate are considered. We do not have a call back service, but after placing your bid you may contact us as many times as you like to check on your bids. And we take seriously the commitment to reduce bids. We do not reveal the high bid of any lot, but if you have placed a bid on a lot, you may contact us after your bid has been placed and we will tell you if you are the high bidder.
Usually well over 1/3 of all successful bids are reduced and over 75% of successful bidders have at least one of their winning bids reduced. We believe that the best strategy to being a successful bidder is placing your bids early and not waiting until the last minute.
Please keep in mind that we can not guarantee who is the last bidder. If someone calls us at 9 PM, the sale will continue for at least 10 minutes after that call is completed. If someone else calls us during that 10 minutes, the sale continues for another 10 minutes. And so on.
NO BUYER'S FEE (back to top)
There has been quite a bit of discussion lately about companies that charge what some say are excessive buyer's fees. We do not charge a buyer's fees in our sales. You are charged only for the amount of your winning bid, postage and shipping charges. If you want the convenience of using your credit card we charge you a small fee to use that to help cover our costs.
LOT VIEWING SCHEDULE (back to top)
DENVER COIN EXPO. October 30-November 2, National Western Complex, "Expo Hall", I-70 and Brighton Blvd., Denver CO. Thursday October 30th is dealer set up day. Public hours are Friday and Saturday 10 AM to 6 PM and Sunday 10 AM to 3 PM. We will have most lots in the sale available for viewing at our bourse tables during all show hours. There are some bulk lots which we will bring only if specifically asked to. Please contact us prior to the show to ensure that we bring the lots you want to see.
We plan to have the majority of the material in the sale in our office Monday through Friday beginning October 20th except for the show dates mentioned above, until the close of the sale if you need more detailed description of any of the lots. However, please contact us as well in advance of the close of the sale as possible in order that we can provide you with as much information as possible. We will be happy to return your call if we cannot provide you with the information you require when you call, fax or email.
We will confirm all email bids received within 24 hours of receiving the bid. If you do not receive a confirmation please contact us. We have been deluged by spam as I'm sure many of you have also. Even though our filter separates most of the junk from the "real" mail, it does not do a perfect job, thus we ask that when sending us a bid or inquiring about the sale, please put "Bid" or "Mailbid Sale" or "Auction" in the subject line so we do not delete your email along with the junk we receive every day. We do not confirm mail or fax bids unless specifically asked to do so. Please write clearly on your bid sheet. If possible in addition to the lot # and your maximum bid a small description is most helpful.
No information will be available about the results of the sale until all bids have been checked and invoices written. This should take about 4 days. We will not be answering the phone until that information is ready. We hope to be ready by Monday November 17th or Tuesday November 18th at the very latest.
HIGHLIGHTS OF AUCTION 38D (back to top)
We're actually a day ahead of schedule in getting this catalog to the printer. That's our 2nd schedule which is a week behind our first. A six day visit by our 2 year old granddaughter and her parents set us back a week. It was well worth the delay.
While this sale is smaller than most we've had it's full of numerous goodies. Our ancient section is highlighted by 2 Jewish War Shekels, as well as a Bar Kochba Sela (Tetradrachm) and numerous bronzes from the Bar Kochba Revolt. In addition the city-coin listing has some very attractive and scarce coins listed.
Among the many highlights of the world coin section is a rare high grade gold coin of Julius Popper from Tierra del Fuego, the island off the coast of Argentina. There is also various Railroad medals from around the world, our largest listing yet of coins of the Crusader States as well as a group of six satirical anti-Napoleon III coins, one from World War I. In addition there are some very enticing groups of Israeli commemoratives and 3 complete sets of Palestine coins.
Our world paper section is smaller than usual but is one of our best offering yet with the highlights being Concentration Camp notes (including two pieces from Oranienburg), Israel and a nice group of Palestine Currency Board notes.
As usual our Medallic Judaic section is full of rare and unusual items. A few highlights include 3 jetons of Hans Krauwinkel, an original struck Munich Synagogue medal in silver, a long run of Judah Magnus medals in silver and our best offering of religious and ceremonial objects in a number of years. Our section of State, Commissioned and Presentation Medals may be our best yet with numerous trials strikes and patterns as well as very rare commissioned medals.
BIBLIOGRAPHY (back to top)
SNG - Cop The Royal Collection of Coins and Medals: Danish National Museum
RIC - Roman Imperial Coins, Volume I-X
SNG - ANS The Collection of the American Numismatic Society
BMC - British Museum Catalogue
RIC - Roman Imperial Coins
Brunk - World Countermarks on Medieval and Modern Coins
Saurma - Die Saurmasche Munzsammlung Deutscher, Schweizerischer und Polnischer Geprage von etwa dem Beginn der Groschenzeit bis zur Kipperperiode
SNG - von Aulock Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum Deutschland: Sammlung V. Aulock: (4 Volumes)
Album or Alb - Album, Steve, A Checklist of Islamic Coins
B or Berk - Berk, Harlan. Eastern Roman Successors of the Sestertius
Breen - Breen, Walter. Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins
BHM - Brown, Lawrence. British Historical Medals. 3 Volumes
Bruce - Bruce, Colin R. Unusual World Coins
RPC - Burnett, Andrews, Michel Amandry and Pere Pau Ripolles. Roman Provincial Coinage
Byrne - Byrne, Ray. Coins and Tokens of the Caribees.Jess Peters, Inc. Sale #78.
CC - Castán, Carlos and Juan R. Cayón. Las Monedas Españolas.
C or Cohen - Cohen, Henri. Description Historique des Monnaies Frappees sous l'Empire Romain (8 Volumes)
Coole - Coole, Rev. Arthur. Various books on Chinese Coins.
Camp or Campbell - Campbell, Lance. Prisoner of War and Concentration Camp Money of the 20th Century
Cr or Craig - Craig, W. D. Coins of the World. 1750-1850
Craw - Crawford, Michael H. Roman Republican Coinage
Curtis - Curtis. James W. The Tetradrachms of Roman Egypt
Dav - Davenport, John. World Crowns and Talers. Many different volumes
Del - Delmonte, A. The Silver Benelux
Denis - Denis, Ch. Catalogue des Monnaies Emises sur le Territoire de la Russie (1914-1925) avec inication de leur valeur actuelle
Dewing - The Arthur Dewing Collecton of Greek Coins, published by the ANS.
Dug - Dugniolle, J. F.. Le Jeton Historique de Dix-sept Provinces des Pay-Bas.
Emm - Emmett, Keith. Alexandrian Coins.
Feller or F/F - Feller, Ray and Steve. Silent Witnesses: Civilian Camp Money of World War II
Flower - Flower, Harry. Numismatic Tributes to Albert Einstein
Weber - Forrer, L.. The Weber Collection
Forrer - Forrer,L. Biographical Dictionary of Medallists. 8 volumes.
Forrer - Forrer, R. Keltische Numismatik der Rhein- und Donaulande.
Fran or Franquinet - Franquinet, Guy et. al. Litzmannstadt: A Chapter of German Monetary History
Fr or Frey - Frey, Albert R. The Dated European Coinage Prior to 1501
Fr. - Friedberg, Robert, Arthur and Ira. Gold Coins of the World
JMM - Friedenberg, Daniel. Jewish Minters and Medalists
Friedenberg - Friedenberg, Daniel. Jewish Medals From the Renaissance to the Fall of Napoleon Friedenberg or GJP Friedenberg, Daniel. Great Jewish Portraits in Metal:
Gadoury - Gadoury, Victor and G. Cousinie. Monnaies Coloniales Francaises, and Monnaies Royales Francaises by Gadoury and F. Drouulers.
Gill - Gill, Dennis. The Coinage of Ethiopia, Eritrea and Italian Somalia
Gobl - Gobl, Robert. Sassanian Numismatics
CME - Grierson, Philip. The Coins of Medieval Europe
MEC - Grierson, Philip. Medieval European Coinage with a Catalogue of the Coins in the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, Volume I4: Italy (III) (South Italy, Sicily, Sardinia)
Grove - Grove, Frank W. Medals of Mexico. 3 volumes.
Gum - Gumowski, Marian. Handbuch der Polischen Numismatik
JTM - Haffner, Sylvia. Judaic Tokens and Medals
Haffner - Haffner, Sylvia. The History of Modern Israel's Money from 1917 to 1967
Kagan - Kagan, Arnold publisher, Haffner, Sylvia editor. Israel's Money and Medals
Hen - Hendin, David. Guide to Biblical Coins, Fourth Edition.
Her - Herinek, Ludwig. Osterreichische Munzpragungen von 1592-1857; Ferdinand II. und Ferdinand III. als Erzherzog und Kaiser
Hill - Hill, G. F. Medals of the Renaissance
Hou - Houghton, Arthur. Coins of the Seleucid Empire From the Collection of Arthur Houghton
SNG - Israel Houghton, Arthur, Loerber Cathy and Spaer Arnold. Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum: Israel I The Arnold Spaer Collection of Seleucid Coins
Hus - Huszar, Lajos. Munzkatalog Ungarn von 1000 bis Heute
Jaeger - Jaeger, Kurt. Various works on German coins.
JIN - Journal of Israel Numismatics. Published by the International Israel Numismatic Society from 1966 through 1969.
Kad or Kadman - Kadman, Leo. Corpus Nummorum Palaestinensium. In 4 volumes.
Katz - Katz, Viktor. A Thousand Years of Bohemian Coinage (929-1929)
Kharitonov - Kharitonov, Dmitri. Jewish Paper Money in Russia.
Kind - Kindler, A. The Coinage of Bostra
Kind - Kindler, A. The Coins of Tiberias
Kisch - Kisch, Bruno. Shekel Medals and False Shekels
Kirschner - Kirschner, Bruno. Deutsche Spott-Medaillen Auf Juden
Klienast - Klienast, Gunther. The Medals of Karl Goetz and Supplement.
Kohl - Kohl, Christian. Talerteilstucke de Kurfurstentums Sachsen Albertinische Linie
KM - Krause, Chet and Clifford Mishler. Colin Bruce, ed. Standard Catalog of World Coins. Volumes I-IV
Krause - Krause, Delbert. Swiss Shooting Talers and Medals
Lamb - Lamb, Robert A. Catalogue of German War Tokens: The Municipal Issues 1914-1921
Lapa - Lapa, Frank. Check List of Siege and Necessity Issues 16th-20th Century
Lind - Lindgren, Henry. Ancient Greek Bronze Coins.Vol I-III
Lobel - Lobel, Richard et. al. Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK coins
McClenaghan - McClenaghan. Indian Princely Medals
Mers - Merseburger, Otto. Sammlung Otto Merseburger unfassend Munzen und Medaillen von Sachsen, Albertinische und Ernestinische Linie
AJC - Meshorer, Ya'akov. Ancient Jewish Coinage Vol. I-II
TJC - Meshorer, Ya'akov. A Treasury of Jewish Coins
Mesh - Meshorer, Ya'akov. The Coinage of Aelia Capitolina
Mesh - Meshorer, Ya'akov. Nabataean Coins
SC - Meshorer, Ya'akov and Shraga. Qedar. Samarian Coins
Coins - Reveal Meshorer, Yaakov and Ira Rezak. Coins Reveal: The Samuel and Daniel Friedenberg Collection of Coins and Medals
Mild - Mildenberg, Leo. The Coinage of the Bar Kokhba War
MACW - Mitchner, Michael. Ancient and Classical World
Mitch - Mitchner, Michael. Indo-Greek and Indo-Scythian Coinage
M-NIS - Mitchner, Michael. Non-Islamic and Colonial Series
MWI - Mitchner, Michael. World of Islam
Mitch - Mitchner, Michael. Jetons, Medalets and Tokens
Nec - Nercessian, Y. T. Armenian Coins and Their Values
Nes - Nesmith, R. Coinage of the First Mint of the Americas in Mexico City.
Newell - SMA Newell, Edward. The Seleucid Mint of Antioch
WSM - Newell, Edward. The Coinage of the Western Seleucid Mints from Seleucus I to Antiochus III
Niggl - Niggl, Paul. Musiker Medaillen in two volumes.
Opitz - Opitz, Charles. An Ethnographic Study of Traditional Money,
P or Pick - Pick, Albert. Standard Catalog of World Paper Money. 3 Volumes
PS- - Pick, Albert and Carl Siemsen. Das Lagergeld der Konzentrations- und D.P.-Lager
Pick - Pick, Behrendt. Die Antiken Münzne Nord-Griechenlands
Pink - Pink, Karl. Die Münzenprägung Der Ostkelten und Ihrer Nachbsrn
Polak - Polak, Arthur. Jewish Medals in the Netherlands
Prid - Pridmore, Major Fred. The Coins of the British Commonwealth of Nations, 4 volumes.
Prieur - Prieur, Michel and Karin. The Syro-Phoenician Tetradrachms and their Fractions from 57 BC to AD 253
Probszt or Pr - Probszt, Gunther. Die Munzen Salzburgs
Vlasto - Ravel, Oscar. The Collection of Tarentine Coins formed by M P Vlasto
Ravel - Ravel, Oscar. Les "poulains" de Corinthe
Rethy - Rethy, Ladislaus. Corpus Nummorum Hungariae
SCMF - Roberts, James. The Silver Coins of Medieval France
Ros - Rosenberger, M. The Rosenberger Israel Collection. Vol I-IV
WMR - Rosenblum, William. Various Mailbid and FPL's issued since 1971.
Rulau - Rulau, Russ. Latin American Tokens: A Guide Book and Catalog 1700 - 1920
Sch or Schjöth - Schjöth, Frederick. Chinese Currency: Currency of the Far East
Scholten - Scholten, C. Coins of the Dutch Overseas Territories 1601-1948
Sch - Schön, Gerhard. Deutscher Munzkatalog 18.Jahrhundert
SB - Schwan, Fred and Joe Boling. World War II Remembered
Sby or Spink - Seaby, Herbert & Peter. Standard Catalog of the Coins of England & the United Kingdom
SG - Sear, David. Greek Coins and Their Values. Vol I and II
SB - Sear, David. Byzantine Coins and Their Values
SGI - Sear, David. Greek Imperial Coins and Their Values
SR - Sear, David. Roman Coins and Their Values
RSC - Sear, David. Roman Silver Coins
Sell or - Sellwood Sellwood, David. An Introduction to the Coinage of Parthia
Sell or - Sellwood Sellwood, David. An Introduction to Sasanian Coins
The - Shekel The Shekel. Published by the American Israel Numismatic Association (AINA) in 4 or 6 volumes per year since the spring of 1968.
Shore - Shore, Fred B. Parthian Coins & History: Ten Dragons Against Rome
S/S - Spengler, William F and Wayne G. Sayles. Turkoman Figural Bronze Coins and Their Iconography, Two Volumes
Spike or SP - Spijkerman, Father Augustus. The Coins of the Decapolis and Provincia Arabia
Sby or Spink - Spink and Son, Publication. Coins of Scotland, Ireland and the Irelands
Sultan - Sultan, Jem (Bill Holberton). Coins of the Ottoman Empire and The Turkish Republic: A Detailed Catalogue of the Jem Sultan Collection (2 Volumes)
Svoronos - Svoronis, J. Corpus of the Ancient Coins of Athens
Terlecki - Terlecki, Wladyslaw. Catalog of Polish Coins 1916-1958
GH - van Gelder, H. Enno and Marcel Hoc. Les Monnaies des Pay-Bas Bourguignons et Espagnols. 1434-1713
VM or Van - Meter Van Meter, David. The Handbook of Roman Imperial Coins: A Complete Guide to the History, Types and Values of Roman Imperial Coinage
Varesi - Varesi, Alberto. Monete Italiane Regionali. Various Volumes
Vagi - Vagi, David L. Coinage and History of the Roman Empire, 2 volumes.
Vice - Vice, David. The Coinage of British West Africa & St. Helena 1684-1958
Vicenti - Vicente, Jose. Catalogo General de La Moneda Espanola: Todos las Monedas Desde Reyes Catolicos a Estado Espanola 1475-1974
Vogt-Bruce - Vogt, George and Colin Bruce. Standard Catalog of Mexican Coins
Werlich - Werlich, Robert. Orders and Decorations of all Nations
Whiting - Whiting, Robert. Collection of Coins and Medals of Martin Luther and the Reformation; April 1983 Aucton by Spink and Son and Catherine Bullowa..
Wurz - Wurzbach-Tannenberg, Wolfgang von. Katalog meiner Sammlung von Medaillen, Plaketten und Jetons zugleich ein Handbuch für Sammler. 2 volumes.
Y - Yeoman, Richard. Modern World Coins. 1850-1950
PART ONE - WORLD WIDE MATERIAL
ANCIENT JEWISH COINAGE (back to top)
* 1 judaea. philisto-arabian. 4th century bc. ar obol (.66) . head of athena right / owl standing right aoe to right. sng ans-19. toned f/vf, bit off-center, thus the head of the owl and the tops of the letter are off the flan on the reverse. $100+
* 3 yehud coin, hellenistic period after 333 bc. ar hemitartemorion or 1/8 obol (.10). head of ptolemy i right/eagle, wings spread, just the very bottoms of letters to right of eagle. ajc-16a. avf. decent example of this tiny denomination. $225+
* 5 ---,--- ar hemi-obol (.27). male head right with long hair / lion's head facing, with open jaws and protruding tongue. sc-163. toned f+, bit grainy, minor flan chips. the weight of this coin gives some credence to the theory that the denomination may be a trihemitartemorion or 3/8 obol. $140
* 7 john hyrcanus ii ?. 67, 63-40 bc ?. ae prutah (2.16). council of the jews, "hever hayedudim"./ double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, pomegranate between horns. h-479a, ajc-h. crude vf. scarce. barbaric type without mention of king $100+
* 9 herod i, the great. 40-4 bc. ae 8 prutot (5.27). tripod, ceremonial bowl, year 3 and monogram / military helmet with cheek pieces and straps, flanked by 2 palm branches. hen-486, ajc-1. vf/gf. ex george fisher collection $225
* 11 ---ae lepton (ae19, 11.4 gr) . single cornucopia/eagle standing right, single pellet in front. the 1st jewish coin with a graven image!. h-501, tjc-66, ajc023. avf. much nicer than usually seen $150
* 15 herod antipas. 4 bc- 39 ad. ae 14 (3.58) 1/4 unit. bunch of grapes hanging down, year 43 (39 ad). legend/inscription in wreath. h-526, ajc-19, tjc-93. vf. rare. ex alan levin collection via stack's raphael ellenbogen sale of december 2000. this is an extremely rare type which seldom is seen. it was missing in both the bromberg and abramowitz sales and we believe that this particular piece is the only one that has been offered in auction in at least 10 years! $1000+
* 16 agrippa ii, pre-royal coinage. 56-95 (41-54). ae 23 (13.37) at paneas. laur. hd of claudius left ti clavdivs caesar avg pm tr p imp pp/antonia,/britannicus & octavia (children of claudius), each holding cornucopia, their names written out. h-567, rpc-4842. numismatic legacy of the jews #208 (as a city coin). nice fine. an extremely rare and important coin which is very seldom offered for sale. ex alan levin collection, purchased from amphora in november of 1999, who had it listed at $2200. (amphora tag enclosed). $1400
* 17 ---,--- (53/54). ae 18 (6.16) 1/2 unit. upright palm branch, legend year 13/tibe piac in wreath. civic type. in very nice condition. struck at tiberias. h-575, ajc-6. t-348. nice vf. rare and seldom offered, similar in style and design to coins of herod antipas which of course were struck here. ex alan levin purchased from herb kreindler by private treaty in december of 1997. $550
* 18 ---under nero. ae23 of panias (11.79). bust of nero right/5 line legend. commemorates panias as neronias. h-581, ajc-add. i, p. 110. fine, bit rough. scarce type. ex george fisher collection. $100+
* 19 ---,--- ae14 (1.54). turreted bust of tyche right/double cornucopia. h-584, ajc-5, tjc-132. f/vg, ragged flan. an extremely rare coin which hendin prices at $1500 to $4000. missing in the abromowitz, bromberg and teddy kollak collections! ex george fisher via alex malloy in november of 1995. $600
* 20 ---under vespasian. ae 25 (17.60) . bust of vespasian right/nike stg left, crescent. struck year 26=86/87 ad. h-610, ajc-30a. avf. this coin has an impressive pedigree: we sold this to george fisher in may of 1999. it is from the rev. james theslius collection who purchased it from amphora. $225
* 21 ---under domitian. ae22. head of domitian right/large sc surrounded by inscription and date. (year 26 86/87 ce). h-616, ajc-36, tjc-164. gd very fine on oval flan, reverse a bit off-center. attractive portrait. $150
* 22 marcus ambiblius, procurator. under augustus. 9-12 c.e. ae prutah (15.5 mm, 2.41 gr) . ear of barley, legend/palm tree, year 39. h-636, ajc- 3, tjc-313. ch. vf. ex george fisher purchased from wmr in august of 2000. $75+
* 25 antonius felix, procurator under. claudius. 52-59 ad. ae prutah (2.94) . crossed spears & shields,/6 branched palm tree, legend with brit, year 14 of caesar. h-652, ajc-29, tjc-340. ef. rare coin as it mentions britannicus son of claudius and is exceptionally attractive. $150+
* 28 first revolt (jewish war). 66-70, year one. ar shekel (13.36). omer cup shekel of israel above, aleph (year one)/stem with pearled base and 3 pomegranates, jerusalem the holy. h-655, ajc-3. f-vf, scr's, rim erosion, reverse o.c. year one shekels are becoming increasingly difficult to find, especially at reasonable prices. $2500
* 29 ---year 2. ar shekel (14.32). omer cup, shekel of israel, year two/3 pomegranates on stem, jerusalem the holy. h-659, ajc-8, tjc-193. toned ef+. an exceptionally well struck and centered piece on a somewhat tight flan. a die break visible from about 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock. from an old new england collection. $3400?
* 30 bar kochba. 132-135, year one (or hybrid). middle bronze (7.54). palm tree, "shma"/vine leaf, "year 1 of the redemption of israel". hybrid years 1 and 2, palm tree is from dies of year 2.. mild-47, h-679, tjc-257. avf. rare type, very attractive. $650+
* 31 ---,---year one. small bronze (5.14) . bunch of grapes, "year one of the redemption of israel"/palm tree with two bunches of dates, "eleazar the priest". affordable example of scarce coin. ex bob schonwalter collection. hen-681, mild-150. g-vg/f. $190+
* 32 ---year two. ar sela (14.16) or tetradrachm . facade of temple, with ark & scrolls, rosette above, "jerusalem" on 2 sides around/lulav with etrog to left, "year 2 of the freedom of israel". h-688, mild-14. aef, fields a tad rough. attractive and rare. undercoin visible in spots but not enough for us to determine what coin it is. $4000+
* 33 ---,---ar zuz (3.45) or denarius. bunch of grapes, "shimon" around, traces of undercoin from roman denarius visible (probably of hadrian)/palm branch, "year 2 of the freedom of israel", traces of roman legend visible. mild-50, h-695. toned ef. $600
* 34 ---,---middle bronze (12.40). vine leaf/palm tree. h-708. as mild-56. obverse is definitely o4, however the ayin is virtually invisible on the mildenberg plate coin reverse but is probably the same as on this far superior coin..choice vf, nice greenish patina with dusty brown tinges. very attractive coin $350
* 35 ---,---middle bronze (9.90). vine leaf/palm tree. mild-58, hen-708. head of emperor visible on palm tree side. we can see the back of the head and the chin of (perhaps) vespasian. nice vf. scarce. it's fairly common to see the undercoin on the silver coins of the bar kochba revolt, but rare on bronze coins. $500+
* 39 ---,---middle bronze (9.92). vine leaf, "year 2 of the freedom of israel" / "palm tree, "shimon". a coarse barbaric imitation of mildenberg o6 (73-81). very narrow leaf. mild-173 (this coin), ajc-44. bromberg ii, 584 (this coin). fine. ex bob schonwalter collection. a nice example of a rare barbaric issue. this is the plate coin from the most important book on the subject as well as from one of the great collections of the 20th century. $450+
* 41 ---,---middle bronze (7.33). vine leaf/palm tree. crude barbaric type. h-708v, as mild-182 the lettering on the reverse is exactly the same, but the lower left tree limb is slightly different. gd f/vf. very nice example of this scarce coin. $350
* 42 ---year three middle bronze (8.75). vine leaf/palm tree. h-736, mild-103. vf, with green and brown highlights. flan is a bit chipped, but this is still a well centered piece with all lettering clear making the type easy to distinguish. $350
* 44 ---,--- middle bronze (10.39) . vine leaf, for the freedom of jerusalem/ palm tree, shimon, 3 letters left, 2 right. h-736, mi-128, t-292a. f/vf. mildenberg cites only one example of this die combination! $250+
* 45 ---,---middle bronze (10.22) . palm tree, "shimon"/vine leaf, "for the freedom of jerusalem". vespasian's ? head visible. mild-138, hen-736. choice vf. another rare bronze coin which shows the undercoin. pretty green patina. $450
* 46 ---,---middle bronze (10.74). vine leaf/palm tree. h-736, mild-obv.11, reverse seems to be unpublished. the shin and the mem to the right of the palm are far apart from each other, while the ayin, nun and waw are closer to each other with the ayin being slightly elongated. nice f/vf, with green and brown highlights. $300
* 48 ---,---small bronze (4.88) bunch of grapes / palm tree. h-739, mild-158. portions of a head of the emperor (vespasian?) are certainly visible under the grapes. avf/ choice vf+. flan a bit ragged, but certainly a desirable coin with part of the undercoin visible (scarce on bronze coins, especially so on small bronzes) and the reverse perfectly centered with the letters as sharp and clear as any we have encountered! $300+
* 49 ---,--- small bronze (4.98). palm tree, "shimon"/bunch of grapes, "for the freedom of jerusalem." this is the scarcest of the 3 mildenberg types of year 3 small bronzes. m-160, tjc-302b, h-739. vf. $200+
* 51 ---domitian. 81-96. ae18 (5.75) of caesarea. laureate bust right/nike advancing left, holding wreath in right hand, trophy in left. caes avg, not caesar. h-750v, tjc-393v. vf. ex george fisher collection via antioch in july of 2003. $100+
CITY COINS OF ERETZ-ISRAEL AND THE DECAPOLIS (back to top)
* 56 aelia capitolina in judaea, hadrian. 117-138. ae23 (10.23). laureate draped bust of hadrian r./bareheaded bust of antoninus pius r. mesh-9, ros-9. f-vf, green patina. ex alan levin collection $250+
* 57 ---antoninius pius 138-161. ae24 (13.44). laur. bust right/ dionysus stg nude, resting on thyrsos, panther at feet. larger and heavier than most seen. mesh-24, ros-16. vf. ex alan levin collection via goldberg sale of may 1999. $300+
* 59 ---severus alexander. 222-235 ad. ae 22 (7.73). laur., draped & cuirassed bust right/tyche std l, on throne with high back, patara in r hand, dove above, cornucopia in l. mesh-149. vf. ex alan levin collection via goldberg's ariagno sale lot #1117 (at $385). $350
* 60 akko-ptolemais in phoenicia caracalla. 198-217. ae24 (11.35). laureate bust right/tyche, stg left, hlding rudder in r. hand and cornucopia in left, crowned by nike at right. ros-46v, kad-136v. vf, green patina. nice pedigree. ex george fisher collection, ex saul sugar collection who purchased this from superior in january of 1981. $150+
* 61 bostra in arabia petraea. philip ii. 247-249. ae 28.5 (15.33). radiate, cuirassed bust right/legend around wreath 3 line legend within wreath. ros-52, spike-60, kind-46. nice vf. ex george fisher collection, via triton #1. $375
* 62 ---trajan decius. 248-251. ae26 (16.90) . laur. bust right/zeus ammon clasping hands with turreted tyche. ros-54, spi-63. f+. ex george fisher via saul sugar collection via superior in january of 1981. $150+
* 63 caesarea in samaria, trajan decius. 248-251. ae25 (18.44) . radiate draped bust of decius right/hygieia std to left on rock, feeding serpent. very rare reverse type. kad-142. ros-, ans-, mesh-1. f-vf, green brown patina. $500+
* 64 ---,---ae27 (16.94). laur. bust right, countermark on neck, possibly an anchor/ horned altar, palm (left) and fig trees (right) behind. ros-129, kad-154, h-840. fine. another coin with a nice pedigree, george fisher via sugar collection $100+
* 66 dium in arabia petraea, caracalla. 198-217 (207/8). ae26 (14.46). bust of caracalla right/eagle atop flaming altar within 6 column temple, aoc = year 271 (pompeian era). ros-3v. gd fine. ex george fisher collection. $100+
* 67 dora in phoenicia. trajan 98-117. ae24 (9.21). laureate bust of trajan right/ head of tyche right, year 175 = 111/112. ros-25ff, bmc-33. f/vf. ex george fisher and dan friedenberg collections. $100+
* 70 ---macrinus. 217-218. ae25 (12.13) . laureate & bearded bust right / tetrastyle temple, with pediment & central arch, tyche standing left within, holding small bust and cornucopia, dated year 19 = 217/218 ad. ros-21. vf. rare. i can find no record of this coin being offered at auction in recent years! $375
* 71 gaba in samaria, hadrian. 117-138 . ae23 (10.46) . laureate bust of trajan right. /victory, walking l., hldg wreath in r. hand, trophy in left. zop=177= 117 ad. ros-9, sng ans-900. nice f. ex george fisher via saul sugar collection (#247) via superior $100
* 72 gaza in judaea, antoninus pius. 138-161 (153/154). ae 27 (21.53) . bearded laureate bust right/bust of tyche right, gaza and mem to right, date ic to left. year 214=153/154 ad. bmc-69, date unlisted in rosenberger. vf. $350+
* 73 neapolis in samaria, faustina, jr., wife of marcus aurelius. ae27. her bust right/turreted tyche standing left, wearing chiton, resting on rudder with right hand, holding cornucopia with left. ros-20v, hen-880. a very nice vf. ex george fisher collection via amphora $150
* 75 ---volusian. 251-253. ae25 (13.53) . radiate, draped bust right/model of mt. gerizim above tablet supp. by eagle with open wings. bmc-164, sgi-4398. vf, nice green-brown patina. ex george fisher collection $275
* 76 nysa-scythopolis in samaria. gordian iii. 238-244 t = 304 = 240/241 ad. ae23 (12.31) . laureate bust right. / dionysos, nude but for chlamys, adv. right, hldg thryos in r. hand, left on head of small figure, panther to left, sp-59, rb-90, ros-60. gd vf. very high grade for type! $375+
* 77 petra in arabia petraea. hadrian. 117-138. ae17 (2.38) . laureate bust of hadrian/3 line legend within laurel wreath. ros-9, sp-16. nice vf. ex george fisher collection, ex superior september 1994 auction. $100
* 79 philadelphia in arabia petraea, hadrian. 117-138. ae23 (11.47). bust of hadrian right/bust of turreted tyche right. ros-14, sp-16. f-vf/vf, reverse just a tad off-center. a very nice coin and scarce as such. ex george fisher collection via d. hendin july 1995 $125+
* 80 ---time of marcus. aurelius (163/164 ad). ae16 (4.04). veiled bust of demeter right / wicker basket with grain-ears and serpents zkc = year 227. z is reversed. sp-3a, ros-28, m-257. aef. eye appealing with dusty green patina. $350
* 81 rabbatmoba, in arabia petraea. caracalla. 198-217 (210/211). ae31 (17.42). laureate bust right / war-god ares, wearing helmet, cuirass and boots, standing on podium with flaming altars to either side. holding spear and shield. pe = 105 = 210/211. ros-16, sp-27. gd vf. larger and much nicer than other published examples such as rosenberger and spijkerman. $750
* 82 raphia in judaea, severus alexander . 222-235. ae26 (13.65) . laureate bust right / zeus std l., hldg scepter and nike, eagle at feet.. ros-20. f-vf, green patina. city name is sharp and clear $200+
* 83 sebaste in samaria, commodus. 177-192 (191/192). ae19 (4.29) . bearded laureate bust right / cysta mystica surrounded by 2 snakes, lcis - 216 - 191/192. ros-16, mesh-115. gd vf. coin is associated with the cult of the underworld! $400
* 84 ---julia domna. wife of. septemius severus. ae25 (10.05). her bust right ivlia domna avg/kore standing facing, hldg torch and ears of grains, cista mystica to l. collse cebaste. sng ans-1079v, mesh-119v. vf. nice portrait. $300
ANCIENT GREEK COINS (back to top)
* 88 macedon. lete. 530-480 bc. ar stater (9.37). naked satyr adv. right seizing a nymph by her right wrist, she looks back at him & raises her left arm in protest/ incuse square divided in 4 triangles by x. sg-1298, sng cop-186. porous avf. $400+
* 89 macedon kings. alexander iii, the great. 336-323 (315-294) bc. ar tetradrachm (17.29) of amphipolis. head of hercules, as alexander the great, right clad in lion's skin/zeus seated left on throne greek, inverted v above torch at left, monogram below throne.. price-455. nice well centered vf. $400+
* 92 thrace. istros. late 5th-4th century bc. ar 1/4 drachm (1.57) . 2 male heads facing / sea-eagle on dolphin left legend above, pellet between, "a" below.. sg-1670, bmc-13. avf. scarce denomination as we usually see the drachm of this type. $100+
* 94 ---,--- 411-350 bc . ar trihemiobol (.89) . satyr with long beard & horse's tail, kneeling left, holding kantharos/amphora, legend around. ex bob schonwalter collection. bmc 53-56, web 2516-17. toned aef. very nice style and very attractive. $400+
* 96 boeotia. federal coinage. 395-340 bc (275-250?). ar hemidrachm (2.52). boeotian shield/kanethores, thunderbolt above, bo to left, i`bd to right. hoard evidence seems to indicate this was struck in mid-3rd century bc. bmc-30, cop-172, bcd-90. vf. $150+
* 101 ---miletos. 350-334 bc. ar hemidrachm (1.75) . small laureate head of apollo left. very expressive portrait/lion walking left, looking back, star above, m monogram to left. sng cop-969ff. ch. vf/vf. ex bob schonwalter collection via m&m, list 229, #14, see imhof-blumer ki. mi $375
* 102 caria. kaunos. after 167 bc. ar hemidrachm (1.09). athena in crested corinthian helmet right/sword in sheath with strap, spear-point at lower right, magistrate's name at top (indistinct). bmc-14v. f-vf. ex george fisher collection $90
* 104 ---rhodos. 394-304 bc. ar didrachm (6.75). head of helios facing slight to right/ rose with bud on stem to right, bunch of grapes and e to left, legend above, all in incuse square. sng cop-728, sg-5037. avf. $350
* 108 ---antiochus vii euergetes sidetes. 138-129 bc. ar tetradrachm (16.38) of antioch. bust right / athena stg left hldg nike & spear, hand on shield. a to left, monogram above. sma-282, sng israel-1855-57. toned vf. $350
* 109 ---,--- ar diadrachm or half shekel of tyre . his bust right / eagle standing left, club to left, date to right. "money of the bible"..sg-7095. vg. ngc slabbed as "genuine". temple tax coin $150+
* 111 ---demetrios ii nikator. 129-125 bc, 2nd reign. ar tetradrachm (13.83) of tyre . bust of king right. prototype of the shekel of tyre/eagle standing left, club to left, m monogram between legs, date (c. 127 ad). sg-7105v, sng israel-2243. vf. $400+
* 112 phoenicia. sidon. 1st century bc. 85-84 bc. ae14.5 (2.31). bust of tyche right/ prow left, astarte wearing long chiton and crown stg. left, lzk = 27 = 85/84 to left, greek & phoenician legends. bmc-129. ch. vf. attractive small bronze. $175
* 113 persia. achaemenid empire, xerxes-. artaxeres i. c. 486-450 bc. ar siglos (5.61). bearded king kneeling right holding spear and bow/oblong punch. nice early piece. sg-4678, bmc-pl. xxv. gvf. $275
* 114 baktrian kings. menander. c. 160-145 bc. ar drachm (2,48). diademed and draped bust of menander right/athena stg left, hdlg shield & preparing to hurl thunderbolt, karosthi legend around, control mark to right. macw-1771ff. toned gvf. $150+
* 115 ptolemaic egypt. ptolemy ii. 285-246 bc. ar tetradrachm (14.11) of tyre. diademed head of ptolemy i right, small "k" behind ear/eagle standing left on thunderbolt, monogram and club to left. cf. svo-644, sng cop-482 (k not mentioned). rare. nice vf, a bit weak on high spots. the " is an artist's signature found on some ptolemaic coins of tyre. it is rarer than the "d" found on ptolemaic coins of alexandria. david vagi sold this coin in march of 2001 for $650. $450
* 117 ---cleopatra vii theo. 51-30 bc. ae 80 drachma (26 mm, 17.21). diademed bust of cleopatra vii right/eagle standing left on thunderbolt. sng cop-419, sg-7955. gd f/vg. strong portrait, nice green red patina $850+
* 118 zeugitania, carthage. late 3rd century bc. bi tetradrachm (24mm, 10.97 gr). large head of tanit left, a few pellets before / horse standing right, pellet below belly, palm tree behind. presumably struck by hannibal's traveling mint. as sng cop-351. vf $225?
ANCIENT ROMAN COINS (back to top)
* 120 republic. q. antonius balbus. 83-82 bc. ar denarius serratus (3.96). laureate bearded head of jupiter right, sc behind head / victory in quadriga right, holding wreath and palm, "a" below, legend in ex. sr-279, antonia-1, syd-742b. aef, touch o.c.. $225
* 121 ---l. cornelius sulla and l. manlius . torquatus. 82 bc. ar denarius (3.75) . helmeted head of roma right., l manli pro q behind / sulla in triumphal quadriga r., being crowned by victory flying left above, l svlla im in ex. sr-286, syd-757. avf. $120
* 122 ---m. aemilius scarus & p. plautius hypsaeus c. 58 bc. ar denarius (3.90) aretas kneeling beside camel, m scavr above, ex-sc in field rex aretas in ex. / jupiter in quadriga, scorpion below. hen-740, sr-379. well centered nicely toned vf. a jewish reference coin concerning the battles between the brothers hyracanus and aristobulus. this is the scarcer of two types of this coin which commemorates the surrender of nabatean king aretas iii to scarus, the first instance of a moneyer publicizing an event from his own career on his coinage. $150+
* 123 augustus and agrippa. c. 12 bc. ae halved dupondius (7.29) of neumausus. laureate head of augustus right/crocodile right, palm tree beyond. sr-1731, rpc-525. nice fine, green patina. the patination on the edge indicates that this coin was broken in ancient times. this was a common practice in the roman empire particularly in the western provinces to provide small change when smaller coins were not available. scarce as such. $90+?
* 124 livia, mother of tiberius. died 29 ad. 22-23 ad. ae sestertius (17.63) . carpentum r., drawn by 2 mules legend in 3 lines above/legend around large sc. sr-1738, ric-51. vg, rough. an opportunity to purchase a rare, albeit low grade, roman sestertius. $200
* 126 vespasian. 69-69. ar denarius (3.00). laureate head right / judaea standing left to left of palm tree with hands bound before her. "(judaea) devicta" behind. hen-770, sr-2262, c-243, ric-289. f/vg. one of the rarest of all judaea capta types, this is usually found as a fourr`8ee. however this is a silver struck regular issue and extremely rare as such despite it's low grade. we've only had a few pieces over the years. $1000
* 127 ---ae as (6.53) . laur bust r./victory stg r. on prow, hldg wreath and palm. for victory over judaea in first revolt (jewish war). ric-2, 562, h-780v. f-vf, bit rough. very attractive green patina. $100+
* 128 titus. 79-81 (16th century after cast). ae paduan sestertius (19.82) . bust left / mourning jewess to r., of palm tree, male jew to left, with arms tied behind back.. klawans-3, law-37. choice. vf and rare. reverse dies by cavino $600+
* 130 faustina jr., daughter of antoninus pius. (145-146). ae sestertius (27.15) . draped bust right / concordia std left, hldg flower & resting l. arm on cornucopia set on globe. sr-47212, ric-1374. choice vf, touch rough, wonderful green patina with an exceptional portrait. $650
* 131 lucius verus. 161-169. ae sestertius (24.10) . bearded bare-headed bust right /verus and aurelius standing with clasped hands. ric-1310, sr-5367 similar but this has bare headed bust. gvf/vf, some minor green deposits. another sestertius with a very attractive portrait $500+
* 133 julia domna, wife of septimius. severus.. ar denarius (3.29) . draped bust of julia domna right/fortuna enthroned l, hldg cornucopia and resting rudder set on globe, child at her feet. ric-554, sr-6584ff. toned ef, small flan crack. $100
* 135 maximinus. 235-238 (236). ae sestertius (21.79) . his laureate & draped bust r imp maximinvs pivs avg/maximinus in milt. dress w. 2 standards on left & one on right pm tr p ii cos pp. ric-33, sr-8336 sim. nice vf. great portrait. $200
* 136 carinus. 283-285 (as caesar 282-283). ae antoninianus of antioch or siscia. radiate bust r/ carus & carinus, in military attire, standing & facing each other, the figure on the r. presenting the other a globe surmounted by victory & holding a long spear, the figure on the r holding a short scepter, xxi in ex., b in field between them. as, sr-22307 (but for obv. legend), ric-207 (scarce). the obverse legend reads imp m avr carinvs nob c and is very rare and used on only 2 coins! $150?
* 137 constantius i, as caesar 302-303. 305-306. ae follis (9.94) of rome . laureate bust right / moneta stg. left, hldg scales and cornucopia, star to right, rt in ex.. ric-vi, 104a. vf+, a few flat areas. $60+
GREEK IMPERIAL, BYZANTINE, EARLY ISLAMIC AND A NICE AXUM GOLD COIN (back to top)
Also sell lots 56 to 84
* 140 moesia inferior, nicoplis ad istrum. septemius severus. 193-211. ae19. laureate head right/tripod with serpent entwined around 1 leg, head rising above. amng-1424v. vf, pretty green patina. rare. $275+
* 141 mysia. pergamum, caracalla. 198-217. ae34 (17.53). laureate bust right, with countermark of male bust right in front/2 figures to either side of flaming altar, clasping their hands above the altar. fine. $250+
* 142 lydia. mostene, commodus. 177-192. ae36 (20.09). bust right, countermark of male head (commodus?) on neck / horseman right, double-axe over shoulder, cypress tree before, hermes holding bridle. bmc-13. vg . $200+
* 146 ---constantius caesar. 292-296, year 2. bi tetradrachm (7.31). laureate bust right / elpis stg left, holding flower & raising skirt. year 2. c-2120, emm-4185. gvf. scarce late roman egypt coin. $200
* 147 byzantine. justin ii. 565-578. ae follis (12.55) constantinople. justin on l., sophia on r., seated facing/large m, off b., year xi. with dirt as found, but nice. sb-360. aef, irreg flan. attractive green patina. $90
* 149 andronicus ii. 1282-1328. ae trachy. flower or 6 pointed star/andronicus standing, large "b" in each hand. sb-2393. vf on ragged flan. ex chris connell collection. david sear suggests that this is a 6 pointed star, but the late chris connell described it as a 6 petalled flower and i concur. $250
* 153 axum, ebana. c. 440-470. gold unit (1.56). crowned bust right, holding whisk, flanked by wheat-stalks legend around (with many letters retrograde) / draped bust right wearing head cloth, holding whisk, flanked by wheat-stalks, legend around, some letters retrograde. munro-hay/ & juel-jensen #71. nice vf. $450
ESTIMATES ARE JUST THAT, ESTIMATES. LOTS CAN AND DO SELL FOR HIGHER AND LOWER PRICES ALTHOUGH YOU MUST BID AT LEAST 60% OF ESTIMATE TO HAVE IT CONSIDERED.
MODERN AND MEDIEVAL COINS, MEDALS AND TOKENS (back to top)
154 A group of coins. 158 coins, mostly minors. Most low value but high grades. Various countries. Also 2 bronze 59mm Israeli medals. 160 piece lot. In loose-leaf album, most in 2 x 2's and identified. $200+
* 155 a group: france 2 silver louis xv silver jetons; 8 sided silver crown size san remo casino token 25, 000 lire; 1879 40mm fulda medal in white metal; elizabeth 1555 6 pence fair and 1791 birmingham mining co condor token. vf, scratches but clipped. 6 piece lot. $75+
* 156 anglo-gallic. aquitaine. richard the lion heart. 1172-1185. ar denier of bordeaux . rica rdvs in two lines across field, cross above, w below / agvitanie around cross patee within inner circle. elias-4. vf+. $175
* 157 argentina. tierra del fuego. 1889. 1 gramo (1.01). tierra del fuego 1889, popper across granulated field / el paramo un gramo, granulated field representing a miner's pan, crossed pick and hammer. au 864 ag132. km-tn1, fr-2. nice ef-au. julius popper was a romanian jewish adventurer who emigrated to argentina in the 1880's and soon moved to tierra del fuego in the extreme south of the country where he created a vast feudal type estate and produced a machine for extracting gold from the mines. in 1889 he issued this coin (plus a larger 5 gramo coin) and stamps. according to daniel friedenberg (jewish minters and medalists page 4-5) popper's gold coins, "are the only gold coins ever issued by a jew before the emergence of modern israel". for more about popper and these coins, see the shekel vol. iii, #4, page 20; vol. ix, #4, page 10, vol.ix, #6, page 22, and vol xviii, #6, page 21. an interesting sidelight to popper is that his father was the principal of the first jewish school in bucharest. rare and seldom offered, this is a much above average specimen. it's been 7 years since we've offered one in auction. this is the nicest i can recall offering. rare and important. $1300+
* 158 ---railroad medal. 1866. copper 59mm by bordes . figure of argentina with tools of agriculture and industry stands before locomotive/legend. for opening of rr line from buenos aries to chivilcoy. moy-455. ch. ef. $85+
* 161 ---,--- anatuya to chaco industrial rr. 1904. silvered ae 45mm by j. gottuzzo . female figure left, steam engine and cars behind it, legend below / legend. struck for the completion of this section of the railroad. ef. $60
* 162 ---,---1910. ar 73 x 55 by j. tottuzo & co. first so. american rr congress. male figure with torch, train in background/8 line inscription in wreath. top edge curved. very attractive.. swan-361. ef, tiny nick. ex almanzar's july 1974 $80+
* 163 armenia. hetoum i with zabel. 1226-1270. ar tram. queen zabel standing on left, king hetoum on right, both crowned and holding long cross between them / lion walking right with left paw raised, star under lion, cross behind lion. nerc-342. vf, so called marriage tram. $75+
BIDDING QUESTIONS? WE'LL BE HAPPY TO HELP
* 167 ---franz joseph. 1869. ae72mm by joseph tautenhayn. franz joseph visits the holy sepulchere in jerusalem. his bust right/mary with cross, angels flanking sepulchere. the legend refers to the fact that franz joseph was the first western emperor to visit the holy sepulchere since the crusades! a similar medal sold for $80 in our spring auction. $75+
* 169 ---2nd republic . 1957. 5 schilling . km-2879, y94. ef-au, with small scratch near "5" of date. a very rare date of a 2 year type which catalogs $540 in ef and trends for 450 euros in the same grade. $400+
* 171 ---albert i. prosper wielemans. 1911 ae 49 x 62mm by charles samuel. bust of wielemans left, his name below / 10 line legend. made to commemorate wielemans nomination to be an officer in the order of king leopold. ef. for another work by the same artist see lot #511. $40+?
* 179 ceylon. carey, strachan & co.. nd (c. 1873). plantation token . carey strachan & co * colombo around union mills/1. struck in england about 1873, had a value of 17`a2. the union mills formerly belonged to maclachlan mackenzie & co. who became insolvent about 1869-1870.. pridmore-14. ef. $75
* 180 ---george steuart & co.. 1843 (1881). ae (19 mils) token . george steuart & co * ceylon * / 2 woman at work. wekande mills. legends in sinhalese & tamil which pridmore states are incorrect.. prid-96. ef. $50
* 182 chad. republic. essai. 1985. 500 francs . 1,700 minted. km still has wrong picture.(for the correct picture see page 365 of 2009 book under central african republic e6 and of course on our website). km-e6, gad-15. bu. $65+
* 185 ---,---isabelle of villehardouin 1297-1301, (widow of forent of hainaut). bi denier tournois of corinth. cross pattee, legend flanked by fleur-de-lis and a wedge/castle tournois. ccs-15b. nearly vf. scarce. i can't recall offering this coin before. $50+
* 187 ---,---philip of taranto. 1306-1313. bi denier tournois. cross, legend around with retrograde "s" / castle tournois with pyramid shaped spire, no secret marks in field. ccs-26b. avf/f, flan a tad wavy. $50
* 188 ---,---mathilde de hainaut. 1316-1321. bi denier tournois (.85 ). clarentza? cross./castle tournois, annulet to left, pheon below, another annulet at end of legend.. ccs-32 (annulet called pellet), met-999-1002. toned vf. ex alistar lilburn collection $100
* 199 ---athens. guy ii, de la roache, majority. 1294-1308. bi denier tournois. legend around cross/castle tournois with "spur-rowel" below castle and dot in upper left tower of castle. as ccs-96, but with added dot. toned avf. $65+?
* 200 ---cyprus, henry ii, 2nd reign. 1285-1324 (1310-24). bi denier . cross, pellets in quarters/lion of cyprus, rampant left. ex galina hoard. old tag included. ccs-66c, sch vi, 23. f, flat spots. $60+
* 201 ---,---peter ii. 1369-1382. bi fractional denier . lion of cyprus l/cross, pellets in quarters. ccs-106 (xr). fr/vg, o.c. with natural hole. not sure how this will photograph, but it certainly will fill a hole in many collections. very rare. $100?
* 202 ---tripolis. bohemond iv. 1187-1233. ae pougeoise. large castle, large undivided door/st. andrews cross, circle in center, crescent in each quarter. ccs-15c, sabine type iv. vg/f and scarce. $60+
* 208 ---british occupation with fuad i as sultan. 1920 silver 8 reales in imitation of spanish colonial 8 reales. issued by saga-saad meawad of cairo. bruce x-tn15. bust of ferdinand vii right/arms. vf, a few rim bruises and likely mount removed. we've handled more than our share of egyptian coins and tokens from this era for 37 plus years and can't recall seeing this before. $200+
* 209 england, william iii. 1697 peace of ryswick. gilt silver 45mm by philipp heinrich m`9fller. mars seated left on arms, peace at left holding trophy / a caduceus, with olive-branch twisted around it, globe marked europa below, radiant jehovah above. mi, 162, 433. gd vf and rare. $500+
* 212 ---george v. railroad medal. 1925. ae 77mm by g. bayes . stockton & darlington rr centennial. their conjoined busts l., between shields./vulcan left, hdlg model of engine #1 "1825", "1015" and modern engine above.. eimer-2001. ef. $85+
* 214 ---elizabeth ii. 1969 by paul vincze silver 56 mm. for the 200th anniversary of the stratford jubilee. shakespeare in oval at top center, flanked by actor and actress and legend / david garrick in circle, legend. $50
* 215 france. first republic. l'an ii (1793)-w. ecu of 6 livres . angel inscribing tablet, cap of liberty & fasces behind, cock before/value above w in wreath. lille mint. dav-1336, km-625.4. toned vf, struck from rusty dies. $800+
* 219 ---marshal andre massena. 1818. ae 40mm. bust left / legend in wreath. general under napoleon. vf, many rim niks. see the shekel 21, 4, 30 for possible jewish links to one of napoleon's most valued generals. $60+
* 220 ---charles x. clotaire iii. 650-668. silver 34mm by armand auguste caqu`8e. crowned bust left / legend. one of a series of medals on french kings that caqu`8e did in the 1820's & 30's. toned ef. $50
* 221 ---louis philippe. railroad medal. 1842. ae 52mm by vm borral . railway laws of 1842. high relief bust of louis philippe i/steam engine with cars right, topless winged angel flying r. w. caduceus and horn. mayaux-120. ch. ef. ex glendding sale 4/86, lot 252, ex dm colleciton 1945. 30`a3 $200+
* 223 ---,---eugene sue 1846. ae 46mm by emile rogat. his bust left/winged statue in front of building surrounded by mountains, more statues & clouds. ef, a few spots. sue was a french novelist of the first part of the 19th century. two of his best known works were the mysteries of paris and the wandering jew. $40+
* 224 ---napoleon iii. 1870 2 centimes size copper nickel. satirical issue. vampire of france. his helmeted bust left, smoking cigarette with a long curly beard, "sedan" on neck and "napoleon iii le miserable 80,000 prisonniers" around / around facing eagle with owl-like face "vampire francais 2 dec. 1851- 2 sept. 1870". vf, unusual denomination. $50+?
* 226 ---,---engraved 10 centimes satirical of 1854-bb. "trench art" from franco-prussian war. napoleon ii with elaborate helmet and strap engraved. his cap looks likes a college graduation cap. nice vf and scarce. $50
* 227 ---,---engraved 10 centimes satirical of 1855-b. "trench art" from franco-prussian war. napoleon ii with elaborate helmet and strap engraved. the reverse shows the eagle with definite owl like features and added "v" before empire to signify vampire. vf and scarce. $75+?
* 229 ---,---engraved 10 centimes satirical coin on b mint coin (date uncertain). "trench art" from world war i. napoleon ii with elaborate helmet and strap engraved and "1914" and chain below. coin is well circulated (c. 45+ years old) and done during an entirely different war than above. fine and rare. $60+
* 235 ---emden, free city. nd (1619-37). gulden of 28 stubers. flor. argen. cvitat emp around crowned arms with (28) below / ferdinan ii rom imp sem avgv around double headed eagle with 28 on breast. dav-507, km-10. crude fine. $65
* 236 ---hamburg. 1849. ae 44mm. exterior view of st. petri church in hamburg/ interior view of church. struck in the style of jacques weiner. gaedechens 2091. as struck, couple of minor rim nicks. $150+
* 237 ---hesse-cassel. william i as prince elector of hesse. 1803 silver 43mm. by karl ludwig holtzheimer (spelled holtzhemer on the medal). struck by the city of hannau. 11 line legend. personifications of peace and joy sacrificing at altars. sch`9ftz 2206.1. forrer, volume 2, page 535-536. toned ef. $150
* 238a ---prussia, friedrich wilhelm iii. 1801 ar 67mm by abraham abramson. conjoined busts of five prussian kings: friedrich i to friedrich wilhelm iii, legend around, initials gfh hand engraved below/allegorical figure seated left holding balance scale and scepter. struck on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the coronation of friedrich i as king of prussia. hoffmann-100. cast fine, with nicks and scratches, holed & plugged. a rare medal from this famous jewish medalist. $200+
* 240 ---saxony, ernst, wilhem, albrecht & margarete (14)75. ar half groschen or spitzgroschen . shield with lion, date as inverted "v"7/arms. leipzig mint (6 pointed star). unlisted by frey. levinson-i, 148, saurma-4396. ch. vf. nice example of an early dated european coin. $225
* 243 ---,--- duke friedrich august iii. 1805-h 1 pfennig. cr-91, km-1000. gd fine. this date is unpriced in krause and presumably rare. struck when saxony was a royal duchy one year before it became a kingdom $50?
* 245 ---nurnberg-furth. nd. a set of 43 uncirculated 20 pfennig aluminum street car tokens including two varieties of the staditsche sparkase. u4-1. a nice set. ex bill spengler, who purchased this from our sale 31c in may of 2001 for $200. $150
* 246 ---westphalia, dusiberg. 1822. daniel eberhard gunther. ae41mm by c. pfeuffer . bust left / latin legend. brettauer 438. struck to commemorate his 50th year as a medical doctor. ef, some spots. this bronze medal seems to be much rarer than the silver issue! $100+
* 248 ---heinrich heine. nd (1960's). ae 107 x 94 mm medal by paul siegert. his bust incuse right/12 lines of verse from a poem by heine. as made. also see #247 above and #354 under russia for other heine medals. $150
* 250 ---karl goetz railroad medal. 1920. bronze 58mm karl goetz cast . unification of german transport system. minister bell putting trains in sack / bavaria postillion who now loses his job. bell, the minister of transportation, unified the german transportation system.. kienast-opus-254. ef. ex david h. donald collection, our sale #30c lot 600. $170
* 251 ---bruno walter. nd ae 60 x 46mm uniface plaque by geienhauer. his bust right, name and 1876-1962 below. walter was one of the great conductors of the 1st half of the 20th century and worked with major orchestras and operas in numerous cities including cologne, hamburg, riga, vienna, munich, leipzig and new york. niggl-2289 $40+
* 259 israel. 1948-1957. almost complete pruta set. includes 25 mils 1948 f-vf, 1949 open (bu) and closed link (ef) and other varieties with the exception of the 1949 250 pruta without pearl (which is common). includes 10 pruta with pearl, 25 pruta without pearl, 50 pruta with pearl and 1954 reeded edge, 1954 100 pruta utrecht (vf-ef) and the 250 and 500 pruta silver coins in unc. 27 coins, most unc. sold as is, no returns. $350+
* 260 ---utrecht die. 5714 (1954). 100 pruta . scarce variety with wreath away from rim, reduced size. km-19, p23. bu, hint of toning. as struck!.the nicest we've seen, thus very rare. a coin deserving a place in the most discriminating collection. $1500
261 ---1949-H 250 Pruta Silver. KM-15a, P-26. Group of 50 BU coins. Retail Value $500. $350+
262 ---1949 500 Pruta Silver. KM-16, P-27. Group of 51 BU coins. Retail Value $1750+. $1250
263 ---1949-H 250 Pruta and 1949 500 Pruta Silver. KM-15a & 16, P-27 & 27. Group of 100 BU silver coins. Retail Value $2250+. It's been many years since we offered a quantity this large. $1500+
264 ---Group of 4. 1949 25 Mils Open Link Fine, 1949 25 Mils Closed Link VF-EF, 1954 50 Pruta reeded edge BU and (1975) "Season's Greatings" Token error. SG-12, Type I. 4 piece lot, the last two as struck. The last ex NASCA 1978 Weiss Sale #707. $50?
265 ---Large group of miscellaneous (mostly) trade coins. Among the better coins are 5 Agorot 1961 ICI BU, 5 Agorot 1964 VF, Degania BU, Palestine 100 Mils 1939 EF and 15 Season's Greetings tokens 1964-1981. 82 pieces in lot. Sold as is, no returns. $100+
267 ---Purim & Hanukkah Coins. 1961 (3) & 1962 (4) Half Shekel Purim coins, 1958 Law (2), 1960 Degania (2), 1961 Heroism (2), 1962 (2), 1963 (2), 1972 and 1973 (2) Lamp Coins. 20; coins 14 of which are proof, the last three silver. Sold as is, no returns. $100
268 ---,---Purim & Hanukkah Coins. 1961 & 1962 Half Shekel Purim coins, 1958 Law, 1960 Degania, 1961 Heroism, 1972 Russian Lamp, 1973 Babylonian and 1975 Dutch Lamp. 8 BU coins, the last three silver. Sold as is, no returns. $40
269 ---,---Purim & Hanukkah Coins. 1961 & 1962 Half Shekel Purim coins, 1958 Law, 1960 Degania, 1961 Heroism, 1962, 1963, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977 and 1978 Lamp Coins. 14 Proof coins, (1972 through 1976 silver). Sold as is, no returns. $100+
270 ---,--- Purim coins. 3 each of 1961 and 1962 BU's and Proofs. 12 coins in lot. Our retail price if bought individually is $84. Some may have light handling or PVC residue, easily removable. Sold as is, no returns. $55
271 ---Group of 1 Lira Hanukkah coins. 1958 Law BU (6); 1960 Degania BU (3) & Proof (3); 1960 Szold BU (3) & Proof (3). 18 coins, the last three scarce. Our retail price if bought individually is $365+. Sold as is, no returns. $225
272 ---Group of 1 Lira Hanukkah coins. 1961 Heroism & Sacrifice BU (3) and Proof (3); 1962 Italian Lamp BU (3) & Proof (3) and 1963 North African Lamp BU (2) & Proof (3). 17 coins. Our retail price if bought individually is $215. Sold as is, no returns. $140+
273 ---Anniversary Coins. 1958 Menorah BU (6) and 1959 Exiles BU (3) and Proof (3). 12 silver coins. Our retail price if bought individually is $230+. Sold as is, no returns. $150+
274 ---1960 Herzl 5 Lirot Anniversary coins. 3 BU and 3 Proof. 6 lightly toned coins. Our retail price if bought individually is $120+. Sold as is, no returns. $80
275 ---1961 Bar Mitzvah 5 Lirot Anniversary coins. 3 BU and 3 Proof. 6 lightly toned coins. Our retail price if bought individually is $270+. Sold as is, no returns. $175+
276 ---1962 Negev 5 Lirot Anniversary coins. 3 BU and 3 Proof. 6 lightly toned coins. Our retail price if bought individually is $190+. Sold as is, no returns. $125
280 ---1964 Museum 5 Lirot Anniversary coins. 3 BU and 3 Proof. 6 lightly toned coins. Our retail price if bought individually is $180. Sold as is, no returns. $120
281 ---1965 Knesset & 1966 Life 5 Lirot Anniversary coins. 3 BU and 3 Proof each. 12 lightly toned coins. Our retail price if bought individually is $195+. Sold as is, no returns. $115
282 ---1967 Port of Eilat 5 Lirot Anniversary Coins, 1967 Jerusalem 10 Lirot Anniversary coins and 1967 Victory Commemorative. 3 BU and 3 Proof each. 18 lightly toned coins. Our retail price if bought individually is $275+. Sold as is, no returns. $190
283 ---1958-1969. Commemoratives in Album. All BU. 1958-1963 Hanukkah 1 Lira, 1961 & 1962 Purim Half Shekels, 1967 Victory, 1958-1967 5 Lirot Anniversary Coins and 1968-1969 10 Lirot Anniversary Coins. 22 coins, 14 silver. There are two 1969 Shalom BU coins, one with the Koph mintmark. Includes some scarce coins such as 1963 Seafaring as well as 1961 Bar Mitzvah, 1962 Negev and 1964 Museum. Our retail price if purchased individually is $470. Sold as is, no returns. $325
284 ---1958-1967. Group of 5 Pound Anniversary coins: 1958 Menorah, 1962 Negev, 1963 Seafaring, 1964 Museum, 1965 Knesset, 1966 Life and 1967 Eilat. 7 silver BU coins, the key Seafaring golden toned. Some with minor PVC residue, easily removable. Sold as is, no returns. $175+
285 ---1958-1967. Complete set of 5 Pound Anniversary coins in Proof: 1958 Menorah, 1959 Exiles, 1960 Herzl, 1961 Bar Mitzvah, 1962 Negev, 1963 Seafaring, 1964 Museum, 1965 Knesset, 1966 Life and 1967 Eilat. 10 silver Proof coins, the 1958 Menorah hairlined. Some with minor PVC residue, easily removable. Sold as is, no returns. $300
286 ---1958-1967 5 Pound Anniversary Commemoratives. 1958 Menorah (3) Unc; 1959 Exiles Proof (2); 1960 Herzl Proof (2), 1961 Bar Mitzvah Proof, 1962 Negev Proof, 1964 Museum Proof (2), 1965 Knesset Proof, 1966 Life Proof, and 1967 Eilat BU (2) and Proof (2). 17 coins. Some with minor PVC residue, easily removable. Sold as is, no returns. $225+
* 287 ---theodore herzl. 1960/5720. gold 20 lirot . bust left in inset at upper right, emblem of state & it is no legend/twenty israel lirot 1860-1960 in both english and hebrew around emblem of state. fr-1, km--30, g1. bu. $250+
* 294 ---1958? 11 piece privately issued mint set by matebon and sold by hefetz of jerusalem in red plush case. contains 11 pruta series coins in unc. of 1949, 1952, 1954, 1955 and 1957. we've only seen a few of these over the years. $40+?
295 ---Group of 1959 Exile Anniversary coins. BU (8) and Proof (6). 14 coins. Our retail price if bought individually is $300+. Some may have light handling or PVC remnants, easily removable. Sold as is, no returns. $200
296 ---Group of silver commemoratives. Anniversary coins: 1968 1 BU, 3 Proof; 1969 1 BU, 2 Koph, 2 Proof; 1970 1 BU, 2 Proof; 1971 1 BU, 2 Star, 2 Proof; 1972 Proof, 1973 BU, 1974 2 Proof, 1975 1 each BU & Proof, 1976 1 each BU and Proof, 1977, 1978 & 1979 1 Proof each: Pidyon Habens 1970 Proof, 1972 (2) Proofs, 1973 Proofs (2), 1974 2 BU, 1 Proof, 1975 Proof and 1977 Proof. Also 1967 Victory Proof (2), 1971 Freedom Proof and 1974 Ben-Gurion Proof. 42 silver crowns. $450
* 298 ---milan, charles iii (vi of austria) duke of milan. 1707. ae square quattrino . bust right, legend around/crown above mlni dvx in 2 lines, all in wreath. struck on small square flan. varesi-424, cni-22. gvf. $250
* 300 ---naples. charles ii of anjou. 1285-1309. ar gigliato . king enthroned, lions at feet. karol scd dei gra ierl et sicil rex/flowered cross honor regis ivdidivs diligit. bi-1630. nice vf, slightly doubled strike. $165
* 301 ---,---robert of anjou. 1309-1343. ar gigliato . king seated robertvs dei gra ierl. et sicil rex//cross, fleur de lis x 4. honor regis ivdiciv diligit. bi-1635, scmf-6852. vf, slightly clipped as usual. $165
* 313 keeling cocos is.. j.s.clunies ross. 1910/1913. 25`a2 ivory or bone token . crest of arms resting on a scroll, keeling cocos islands 1910. red. scroll inscribed pro patria (for our country) / 2313 c. 25 j.r. clunies ross 1913. km-tn3, prid-5. vf. $150+
* 327 ---1927 holyland token or souvenir mil. old km-tn1, bruce x-tn1. 1 mil. type 1. vf-ef. krause, in it's infinite wisdom (?), does not list in their 2009 edition, but it is listed in unusual world coins by colin bruce. we haven't offered a type i token via auction in 6 years! $300+
In this sale we are listing a great number of "raw" Palestine coins. It's our opinion that, with only a few exceptions, the EF or better coins in this sale are nicer than the "certified" MS60-63 coins in our last sale.
333 ---,--- Group of 2 Mils. 1927 (4), 1941, 1942 (5), 1945 and 1946. 12 coins, the last two scarce. Mostly F-VF, some cleaned. $50+
340 ---,---20 Mils. 1941. Y5, KM-5. Group of 5 VF coins. The scarcest of all 59 pieces in the Palestine series. $450+?
* 342 ---,---1931. 50 mils. key date. km-6. ef. the 1931 and 1934 50 mil coins of palestine are the two lowest mintages. in low grade they are about as equally as scarce, but in ef or better the 1931 is far more difficult to find. $175
346 ---,---100 Mils 1934. Y7, KM-7. Group of Five. Fine. Key date. $375+
* 348 ---,---1927-1946. 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 & 100 mils . complete 59 piece set in israeli made black album. f-ef, mostlly vf, some nicer, the 100 mils are mostly fine, a few nicer. y1-7, km-1-7. much nicer than most sets we've sold. $1250+
* 349 ---,---1927-1946. 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 & 100 mils . complete 59 piece set in us made dansco album for nielsen-porter inc. the 5 lower denominations are mostly vf, the silver pieces are mostly fine. y1-7, km-1-7. as usual with this album some of the coins are slipping into the middle of the pages. $1250+
351 ---,---Group of coins. 1 Mil 1927; 2 Mils 1942; 5 Mils 1927; 10 Mils 1927 EF; 20 Mils 1927 VF; 50 Mils 1927 Toned EF; 1935 2 Choice Au's, 1942 EF; 100 Mils 1927, 1940 both Fine. Plus two Haganah Defense Tokens, both EF, one of which has been harshly cleaned. 13 coins and tokens, unc., where not noted. $75+
* 353 portugal. rotary council international. 1983. ae82 by jorge coelho for gravarte of lisbon. #574 of only 600 made. rotary club logo superimposed on building and bridge / monument in sea. as struck $40+
* 362 ---,---1954. spanish numismatic association. ae 69mm by fernando calico. head left in ancient coin, legend around/hercules wrestling with lion. cast as made, thick and heavy. very attractive. $80
* 368 ---railroad medal. 1858. ae48mm by bovy . opening of the lyon to geneva railway, arms of geneva/ locomotive to left, adorned with flags of france and switzerland. moy-162, leu-1566. ch., glossy ef. $100
* 372 united states. st. charles borromeo seminary medal, philadelphia. silver 38mm. latin legends in wreath on both sides. toned aef, rim nicks. the seminary was chartered in 1838 and was named for st. charles borromeo (1518-84), cardinal-archibishop of milan, founder of obates of st. ambrose, defender of milan from the plague, and counter-reformation theologian, noted for his humility in a time of excess by the catholic hierachy. $75+
* 373 ---philadelphia. 2 different apothecary weights. 1) brass 22 mm (7.62 grams), "3ii" surrounded by "two drachms h. troemner, phila". both sides with exact same description and 2) brass 23mm (7.76 gr), 3ij surrounded by "two drachms j.l.b." on both sides. 2 weights, the first vf with some light scratches, the 2nd vf+, but adjustment marks on one side. $40+?
* 374a ---crystal city, texas internment camp. nd (wwii) 5 23mm gray, non-metallic, 23mm. similar to feller/feller us-1591 but unlisted color and size. ef-au. feller lists as red and 18mm! we've never had an item from this camp. $200+
* 375 ---israeli abraham lincoln medal. nd (1960's?). silver 59mm. his bust 1/2 right, "1809-1865" and his name below/"proclaim liberty throughout the land" in hebrew and english and "from the people of america to the people of israel" incuse in english and "...let us strive...to achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves with all nations. a. lincoln" in english below. made in israel and scarce. unsigned. edge marked "silver israel c5 (?) and 74" presumably #74 of a very low mintage. $75?
* 376 ---presidential medelets. nd. 32 25+ mm tokens, all with portrait of the president and the dates of his presidency on the obverse and a short legend on the reverse. 32 tokens for the first 32 presidents, washington to fdr. presumably struck during fdr's reign as this only has 1933 on it and does not have 1946. interestingly there is only one token for grover cleveland (the 22nd and 24th president) but two for john tyler who wasn't even elected president. 32 bu pieces in very tattered brown box of issue with statue of liberty on front. $100+?
* 378 uruguay. railroad medal. 1901. silvered ae 56mm by j. welker . inauguration of rr from las obras to port of montevideo. train and harbor scene/legend around wreath, within which is a shield. . toned ef, nicks. $65
* 379 wales. carartenshire, carmarthen. 1811. silver shilling . crest, a crowing cock between sprigs of a laurel. morris & sons. h on first laurel at left, three berries at right / carmarthen token xii pence 1811 with sprig of palm on either side. davis-1. toned vf. $100?
WORLD PAPER MONEY (back to top)
* 382 cuba. 1903 promissory note for $70,000 payable to edward j. berwind of #1 broadway, nyc by viuda de ruiz de gamiz. dated october 1, 1903 at havana and payable in 6 months at 6% interest. berwind was one of most important, influential and wealthiest of the coal barons and a partner in some ventures with jp morgan. despite his great wealth $70,000 was alot of money 105 years ago. ef $50+?
* 383a --- holleischen (holysov). a flossenburg subcamp located near prague. campbell 4091-4107, ps-102-118, f/f cz-190-206. 1 pfennig to 5 mark. 17 unc chits. a complete set including the elusive 5 mark. i can't recall when we've offered a complete set. it has been many years. $300
* 384 egypt. 1904 share warrant. corporation of western egypt ltd. for 50 shares. 20 coupons attached. in english and french. british embossed revenue at upper left. fine, with some tears and stains. $50?
* 386 england, operation bernhard. forgery of english 5 `a3 note, 19 march 1935. camp-4065, p-335a, f/f ge-310. london, peppiatt signature. vf, top right corner missing. an article by mark ray in the recent ibns journal (vol. 47, #2, pages 16-27) on the bank of england white notes is a terrific bit of research on the genuine white notes and to some extent on the german forgeries such as this. all notes were printed in side by side pairs and the right hand note would have a "notch" at a certain place to help avoid confusion between denominations. the 5 pound notes, such as this, had the notch at the top right hand corner. $135
* 388 ---,---forgery of english 10 `a3 note, 19 january 1938. camp-4066b, p-336, f/f 311b. london, peppiatt signature. gd very fine, a very nice note. no notch at right, thus this note from the left hand side of the pair. $150
* 389 ---,---forgery of english 10 `a3 note, 16 june 1937. camp-4066b, p-336, f/f 311b. london, peppiatt signature. vf, but for rust stains (mostly at left) and lower left corner missing. no notch at right. not great condition, but not terrible either. $75+
* 390 french west africa. p43. 5000 francs. 22 december 1950. fine, but for small tear at bottom margin and a few edge tears that have been repaired. france with two native women at center, very colorful $150
* 391 germany. 1935 200 reichsmark 3% konversionkasse 10 year bond. blue. similar to schwan-boling #231 (page 485-486) but for some slight differences in layout and unlisted date of 1 september 1935!. (the date listed in sb is probably a typographical error as the picture on page 486 is for a 1935 bond.). ef with hole punch near signature. rare. $200
* 395 ---buchenwald concentration camp. 3 reichsmark, vertical "m" in "rm". c-3954a, ge-143a. choice au-unc. the rarest denomination, in very high grade. no wear or folds, just very slight corner bump. $300+
* 395a ----oranienburg concentration camp. hitler's 1st concentration camp. campbell-4036, ps-1, f/f ge-101. 5 pfennig. green, depicts camp behind barbed wire fence. unc. i believe it's been more than seven years since we've offered one of these and much longer for one this nice. very rare. $600
* 396 ---wwii pow camp. oflag vii-a, near murnau. 1 fenig, 2 feb. 1944. this is an unlisted color variety, yellow on cream with black stamp. unique hand written serial number 22 (early note?). left corner missing which usually means a cancelled note. vf and no doubt rare. $100+?
* 397 ---ration card for fat, oil, margerine and butter. 1941. reichsfettkarte. printed on thin paper. 13 january to 9 february 1941, munich. c. 8 x 6" with 39 coupons all overprinted "j" in red for oil, butter, schmaltz, fat etc. unc., as issued. on beige paper. $125+?
* 398 ---ration card for potatoes. speisekartoffeln. 1942. printed on thin paper. 19 june to 13 december 1942, munich. c. 8 x 6" with 30 coupons all overprinted "j" in red for potatoes. unc., as issued. on beige paper. $125+?
* 399 ---ration card for bread. reichsbrotkarte a. 1944. printed on thin paper. 25 september to 15 october 1944, munich. c. 5 1/2 x 6" with 14 coupons for 50 grams of bread, 8 for 500 grams, and 4 for 500 grams of bread or 375 grams of flour all overprinted "jude" in blue, plus two also say "roggen" (rye) unc., as issued. on orange paper. $125+?
* 400 ---ration card for sugar. reichszuckerkarte. 1944. printed on thin paper. 1 may through 28 may 1944, munich. c. 4 x 4" with 4 coupons for 450 grams of sugar, all overprinted "jude" in red as is the main body of the card which is also is overprinted "ungultig" or invalid. unc., as issued. on beige paper. $125+?
* 402 ---,---p-7, fc-2. 100 mils green carpet note. series aelph/gimel. choice au. no folds but has been slightly handled. for those serial number aficionados this is a great note. serial number 001000. $400
* 403 ---,---p8, fc-3. 50 pruta (1952) zagaggi-kaplan signatures. blue/black. series 0118 b. ef, small spot on back. first time we've offered this note in more than 3 years.scarce. this is a note that has been slabbed by pmg as "choice extremely fine 45 with exceptional paper quality". it's the first "slabbed" note that we've offered. $375+?
407 ---,---P13b, FC-5a. 250 Pruta Prefix Aleph 8 different Series 01009, 01010, 01029, 01034, 01035, 01042, 01044 & 01047. Mostly unc, 1 is VF, 2 others are EF. $300
408 ---,---P13b, FC-5a. 250 Pruta Series Aleph 01034 without Menorah, 4 consecutive serial numbers: 97367 to 97370. $225+
409 ---,---P-13c, FC-5c. 250 Pruta Bet Series 010004, 01005 and 01010. 3 unc notes. $90
414 ---,---P14A, BN-1. 500 Mils. 3 different series: Series A aEF (very crisp) but with stain in upper top margin, Series B G-VG, tape repaired and Series C VG, paper clip stain $200
* 420 ---,bank leumi. p21a, bn-8. 5 pounds. series u. nice unc. a very scarce series, while i haven't recorded all series letters i've handled, i've noted most of them over the last 12 years or so and i can't recall seeing a series u in this condition. $200+?
421 ---,---P-21, BN-8. 5 Israel Pounds. Group of 3 consecutive numbers Series P 241390-P241392. Choice AU. No wear just slight evidence of handling. $300+
* 424 ---bank of israel. 1955 specimen set. p24s-30s, bn11-15. 500 prutah, 1, 5, 10 & 50 pound. all notes with 000000 serial number twice, and specimen across the face and back. in two corners of the front and back an oval overstamp "specimen de la rue & co. no value" and in the bottom margin of each note "specimen no. 64". all 5 notes unc. a rare set of israel's most attractive notes. a similar set sold for $1750 in our sale 34e $1450
427 ---,---P-24, BN-11. 500 Pruta. 1955. Ancient Synagogue. Group of 5, all different Series letters, Aleph, Gimel, Zayin, Nun and Ayin. 5 notes, the first GVF, 2 others choice Au-Unc, the other 2 unc. $200
430 ---,---P-25, BN-12. 1 Lira. 1955. Landscape in Upper Galilee. Group of 4 with different series letter. Bet, Yod, Pe and Sadhe. The first three AU or better, the last a nice EF. $200
* 431 ---,--- p-25, bn-12. 1 lira. 1955. landscape in upper galilee. series pe, 13 consecutive numbers, all au-unc. 338479 to 338491. really no circulation but not stored correctly. a very neat lot. $500+
433 ---,---P-26, BN-13. 5 Lirot. 1955. Negev Landscape. Group of 11, all with a different prefix. Aleph, Bet, Gimel, Dalat, Zayin, Cheth, Lamed, Mem, Pe, Sadhe and Koph. VF to EF, mostly nicer. $500+
* 435 ---,---p27-a, bn-14a. group of four 10 lirot 1955. red serial numbers. valley of jezre'el. consecutive serial numbers, lamad series 331549-331552. 4 unc. notes. the red numbers are scarcer than the black numbers. $225+
437 ---,---P27b, BN-14. Group of 10 Lirot 1955. Black Serial Numbers. Valley of Jezre'el. Five different series letters. Bet, Gimel, He, Teth and Ayin. The first two EF, others VF. $90
* 442 ---bank of israel 1958-60 series. p31, bn-18. 5 lirot 1958 thomas de la rue specimen. with shin/000000 serial number twice, and specimen across the face and back. in two corners of the front and back an oval overstamp "specimen de la rue & co. no value" and in the bottom margin "specimen no. 35". unc. a similar note sold for $300 in our sale 34e $225
* 443 ---,---p32a, bn-19. 10 lirot 1958 thomas de la rue specimen. black serial numbers with aleph/000000 serial number twice, and specimen across the face and back. in two corners of the front and back an oval overstamp "specimen de la rue & co. no value" and in the bottom margin "specimen no. 45". with two holes punched as issued. unc. a similar note sold for $300 in our sale 34e. $225
* 444 ---,---p33a, bn-20. 50 lirot 1960 boy and girl pioneers. black serial numbers. group of 18 nice au notes with consecutive serial numbers. series lamad 279596-279613. the black serial number type is the first and the scarcest of the 5 colors used on the serial numbers! $500
* 446 ---,---p33d, bn-20c. 50 lirot 1960 boy and girl pioneers. green serial numbers. group of 100 uncirculated notes with consecutive serial numbers. series dalat/2 806601-806700 in bank wrapper. a fantastic opportunity to purchase this group which has been together since they were printed! $2000+?
* 447 ---,---p46a, bn-33c. error note. 50 pound 1978 ben-gurion. the watermark, which is supposed to be on the blank strip to the left overlaps the main body of the note. we've included a regular note for comparison. 1st we've seen. rare. unc. (we'll try to scan this so the error is apparent, but don't know if that will work).$180+
* 450 ---,---p51a, bn-39. error note. 1 new sheqel 1986 maimonides. the signature and name of moshe mandelbaum, the governer of the bank of israel is missing. vf. this is the only of these errors that we have seen. we've included a non-error note in this lot for comparison purposes. rare. $500+?
* 453 ---,---collector series. 1991 issue. pick cs-2, bns-15. 100 and 200 new sheqalim with matching serial number (p56a & 57a, bn-44 &45). scarce, the only other one we've offered was in sale #35b where it sold for $150 $150
* 456 palestine. registered check. 7 october 1914. 100 francs. 2nd series. haffner jtm cc-12g and the shekel vol. 23, #6, page 3ff. choice vf (albeit slightly brown), thus one of the nicest of these circulating "checks" that we have seen. at the beginning of wwi, the crumbling ottoman empire was in economic shambles. the towns of tel-aviv and jaffa were especially hard hit and circulating money was in short supply. therefore the outlawed anglo-palestine company had leading members of the jewish community sign and personally back "circulating checks" $200+
* 458 ---palestine currency board. p-7c 1 pound 20 april 1939 series p. vf, a few minor spots on the back. this is only the 2nd series p we've offered in the past 13 years. a series p in similar condition sold for 900`a3 (plus 20% commission) in the birnbaum sale just over a year ago. that is british pounds not us dollars! $900
* 461 ---palestine currency board. p-8c. 5 pounds 20 april 1939 series d. fine, small tear at upper vertical split. still a decent looking note which could easily be repaired. scarce series the last we offered by auction was in the spring of 2001. a slightly nicer one sold for 2200`a3 (plus 20%) in the birmbaum sale. $2500+
* 462 ---palestine currency board. p-8d. 1 january 1944. series e. nice vf, vivid orange color, a faint residue of graffiti visible in guilloche. 1st series d we've offered in auction in 5 years and the nicest we've offered in at least 13+ years. $2500
poland. See Lot 867
russia. See Lot #767
* 465 ---virginia city, montana territory. 1860's. holladay overland mail & express co. unissued, sheet of two checks for gold dust. scarce. ef+. probably issued prior to 1866 when wells fargo & co., bought out the holladay overland mail and express. co. $100+?
* 475 zimbabwe. reserve bank bearer cheques of 250 million (250 000 000) and 500 million (500 000 000) dollars. issued 2 may 2008 and good on or before 31 december 2008. both unc with matching serial numbers of 02022909. $50+
PART TWO - JUDAIC AND HOLY LAND MATERIAL
MEDALLIC JUDAICA (back to top)
There are other lots in Part One of this catalog which just as easily could be listed here. Please see the following lots. above. 1-84, 109-111, 122, 126-129, 151, 152, 157,167, 171, 184-202, 206-209, 214, 219, 223, 238a, 247, 248, 251, 254-296, 325-351, 354, 374a, 375, 383, 386-389, 391-453, 456-464 and 467. In addition there is some medallic material in the Holocaust section at the back of the catalog.
* 476 purim jeton. nd c. 1590 by hans krauwinkel. ae27. mordechai, in king's clothing on royal horse left, being led by wicked hamen, esther vi below, hk in ex/ haman hanging in courtyard of his house, "das havs haman in ex. mitch-1626, neu-32278. fine. rare. the last we offered in auction, in the spring of 1995, sold for $170. $150+
* 477 david and jonathan. c. 1590 by hans krauwinkel. ae28. king david standing on left with harp; facing towards jonathan who has a bow, latin legend between them and around / amasa embracing joab, who is about to stab him, legend in field and around. mitch-1628, neumann 32276-7. vg-f, rough. rare $100?
* 478 judaea capta jeton by hans krauwinkel of n`9frnberg. nd (c. 1600). ae28. . based on the roman judaea capta coin. bust of vespasian left/captive jewess weeping to right of palm tree, emperor stands to left, ivdaea capta above. see friedenberg page 94. vf. a similar piece, in a lower grade, sold for over $200 in our last sale. $150+
* 480 moses medal. nd (16th-17th century) brass 33 1/2 mm, 25.36 grams. high relief bust of moses with horns facing left with "moshe" (in hebrew) on collar/2nd commandment, "thou shall have no other gods before me". cast. nice vf. one of the heavier of these enigmatic pieces we have seen. $40+
* 481 ---,---nd. 17th-18th century? wm 30mm (18.02 grams). similar in nature to the above moses medal but far different in style and appearance. bearded head left with horn-like ear and with a shorter 3 line legend on reverse. fine. 1st i can recall seeing. $50+?
* 482 jewish mintmaster. denmark. gluckstadt. christian iv. 1588-1648, c. 1619. 2 skilling lybsk . wire money type. mm = albert dionis (samuel jachia) of marrano community of hamburg. km-8. vg. see jewish minters and medalists page 22. $150
* 483 jewish mintmaster. denmark. gluckstadt. christian iv. 1623. 3 skilling. stg figure / monogram. mm of albert dionis (samuel jachia) of marrano community of hamburg. h-170. f-vf. see jewish minters and medalists page 22 $150
* 484 king solomon medal. nd (17th century?). silvered 44mm by sapienter. elaborate scene with king solomon on throne, baby with two women in front. soldier ready with knife to cut baby in half while real mother tries to stop him / 9 line german legend in flowery shield, atop of which sits solomon holding scales of justice. nice vf. cast. scarce. $100+?
* 486 juden pfennig. frankfurt. 1819 1 pfennig. km-tn-6. "jew pfenning" or "juden pfennig"s were issued in the early part of the 19th century because of severe shortages of small change. they derive their name from the fact that most, if not all, of the issuing merchants were jews. ef, touch of red. extremely high grade for this piece as almost all that we see are in the f-vf range. $45+
* 487 king david. 1827, paris. brass 33mm by barre. bust of king david wearing helmet/harp, and in hebrew, "a rod to rule, i will open my ears to the secret of my harp, (5)587". see the shekel vol 24, 4, 8-10. edge marked paris 1827. f-vf, some rim bumps and surface marks. a struck example. a similar piece, a bit nicer but with a hole, sold for $75 in our last sale. $70
* 488 hyam hyams model crowns. 3 different pieces, all with inset of victoria in center. 1)1848 with white metal inset and h. hyams on reverse, 2) similar but with brass "victoria" insert in center and a third also with the same insert, this with hercules on obverse, without hyams name but with "a&m" (allen and moore the die-cutters). see jewish minters and medalists, page 66. 3 pieces vf-ef. $150+
* 493 samson oberndoeffer. 1861. tin 41mm by drentwett. bust left/legend. struck to commemorate his 70th birthday. he was a jewish coin dealer in germany in the 19th century. as struck, but a few abrasions and spots. see adolph cahn's 1931 sale of judaica. lot #1906 $125
* 494 munich synagogue 1887. silver 39mm. synagogue in the middle, "new synagogue in munich" in german and hebrew, "erected by albert schmidt 1887" below synagogue in german/legend commemorating the dedication of the synagogue on 16 september 1887. the synagogue was destroyed by the nazis in 1938, a new synagogue was built in it's place in 1972. (see lot #715 for a medal commemorating that event). nice toned vf. rare, this is the first struck one i can recall offering. in our auction 35d a cast version of this medal sold for $600 in very active bidding, this original struck piece should be worth more. $1000?
* 496 early jewish advertising mirror. meyer m. levy, bangor, maine. nd (c. 1900?) 48mm. "you will always look genteel by buying your clothing of the popular clothier meyer m. levy, 1919 exchange st. bangor me". the 7 line inscription is printed on beige heavy paper thus our belief that this is an early mirror as later ones were celluloid. $110
* 497 rectangle charity token. nd. circa 1900. 3 line hebrew inscription which translates "righeousness (or charity, the word is zedkah) saves (you) from death". ef and much rarer than the tokens listed below. see alon, april 1974. rare. $60+
* 498 aleppo syria jewish community charity token. nd (c. 1900) ae18mm brass bracteate token. "101" flanked by a "bet & kaf " and "in righteousness shall thou be established" above, all in hebrew. see the shekel vol viii, #4 for an article by meshorer on these. crude f+. scarce. $40
499 ---Lot of 10 of the above. Crude VG or better. Group of 10 pieces. $200
* 500 alfred gr`9fnfeld. 1902. ae 50 x 72mm uniface plaque by j. tautenhayn. his bust right. niggl-771. gr`9fnfeld was a pianist and composer who was born in prague in 1852 and died in vienna in 1924. he was one of the first pianists to have his work recorded for phonograph records. see lots 504 &507 for related items. $40+
* 501 lazarus silverman. 1909. silver 33mm. "presented by lazarus silverman on his 79th birthday as a token of friendship february 28th, 1909" in 8 lines within wreath / hebrew legend within and around scrolls with menorah to left and magen david to right. toned vf with niks, bumps and (some heavy) scratches. no doubt at least scarce, although i believe i've had this piece at least once before but that was before 1995. silverman was an important jewish banker in chicago after the civil war until he went bust in the panic of 1893. he must have made a comeback after that to produce this medal $50+?
* 502 boris schtatz man blowing shofar. nd. silver c. 70 x 49mm. schatz was the founder of bezalel school of art and prolific sculptor in eretz-israel. vf+, chased around frame. while this plaque is not hallmarked we certainly believe it is silver. it's heavy (94+ grams), sounds silver and more importantly no bronze shows up either under the inscription nor under the chasing. rare. $150
* 503 theodore herzl. nd. sterling silver bezalel medallion with filigree rim. bust of herzl left in smaller medal (c. 26mm) with outer border of filigree and loop on top as made. hallmarked on back. scarce. $175+?
* 504 alfred gr`9fnfeld. nd (1910) 45 x 51mm rectangle uniface by f. joseph drouot. gr`9fnfeld at the piano right. niggl-768. he was one of the first pianists to have his work recorded for phonograph records. a similar medal sold for $50 in our last sale. also see lots 500 and 507 for more grunfeld medals. $50
need more information? we'll be happy to try to help. please ask before closing date.
* 505 paul ehrlich. nd (1912). ae65 by brett. ehrlich and his assitant hata working in lab/hercules strangling hydra. ehrlich was a noted serologist and bacteriologist. ef. a similar medal with a museum number on the edge sold for $125 in our spring sale. this is nicer! $100+
* 506 san remo conference medal. 1920 bronze 93 mm by c.j. van der hoef commissioned by the dutch zionist assn. to commemorate the san remo decision which called for a jewish state. a rabbi and a laborer facing each other, dates 3830-5680 (70-1920 ad) below/legend around star of david with zion in hebrew in center, emblems of the 12 tribes. jtm-ep-13a, polak-66. cast as made. scarce, 1st we've offered in many years. $200+
* 509 arnold mendelssohn. 1929 bronze oval c. 54 x 64mm by? his portrait slightly to the right/11 line legend with loop and red and white cord as made. niggl-3305 (ii). mendelsohn, a composer, conductor and music teacher was the grandnephew of felix mendelssohn. $125+
* 510 jewish day-century of progress. 1933. ae32mm. moses carrying commandments / magen david, legend. tokens were issued to celebrate "jewish day" at the 1933 chicago fair. vf, spots, rim bump. also included in this lot is a pl small 13mm gold bar mitzvah medal (sm-12t) containing about .05 grams of actual gold weight. 2 items $60+
* 511 jean marc walk. 1933. ae 44 x 63mm by charles samuel. his bust left, 3 line legend in exergue. belgium jewish museum #33 (page 50). in 1928 the walk family created an institute for the study of tuberculoses near brussels. i can't recall seeing this medal before. the example cited in the museum book is slightly larger. this medal was struck to pay tribute to walk. for another medal by charles samuel, see lot #171. $100+?
* 513 kofer ha'yishuv ransom ring. judaic tokens and medals mm-14. during the late 1930's the hagana (jewish defense forces in palestine) were supported by tax levied on various parts of the jewish community. this was called the kofer ha'yishuv or fund of the jewish community or sometimes the "people's ransom fund" as costs grew in 1938 more funds were needed and leaders of the fund appealed to all jewish wives to donate their gold wedding rings to the cause. the woman who responded were than given a nickel-brass ring bearing two simple words, kofer ha'yishuv. the last two rings that we've sold that were similar to this sold for $450 and $500 respectively. in addition to the lot below, 514, see also lots 641 and 782-784 for other kofer hayishuv related items. $300+
* 514 kofer hayishuv metal plate. c. 1939. c. 2 1/4 x 3 1/2" blue. black and white. awarded to mr. abba blumenthal. shield in center reads, "kofer hayishuv in defence of village and border settlements". 1st series (aleph). small hole at top and bottom as these were affixed to doors so that haganah would know that mr. bluementhal had paid the voluntary tax to support the cause. made by lewin and epstein ltd. rare, only the 2nd i can recall offering. see above lot also. $100+
* 515 moshe j. olgin. celluloid button (or stick pin). 1878-1939. 19 mm, black on white. his bust facing. olgin, who was born in russia, was a communist writer who wrote for the jewish newspapers "forward" and "freiheit". he followed the communist party line (although not living in his native country) till the day he died. rare, we cannot remember seeing this button previously. $45
* 516 wwii north african "jewish" love plaque. 1942 silver c. 98 x 49mm, star of david with jehovah in hebrew in center at left, at right; hand engraved in 4 lines "love to alberta - from ashton - n. africa oran - nov-11-1942". holed, as made, in four corners for attaching to wood frame. i would presume unique unless ashton had many loves. toned. $125+
* 517 jewish air raid precaution pin. wwii. with raised pointed magen-david, plus arp initials in english and 'hga"(haganah?) in hebrew among the ribs of the magen-david. green background and hebrew letters for eretz israel. no doubt only for jewish arp members. made by kretchmer (makers name on reverse). only the 2nd i can recall seeing. $50+
* 518 dutch holocaust world war ii railroad medal. 1944. ae50mm . winged railway wheel/ legend. struck to commemorate railways workers who went on strike to protest deportation of jews by nazis. ef. $60+
* 520 theodor herzl plaque, n.d. bronze cast, c. 210 x 150 mm. by saul zaetz. distinctly stylized, hollow-eyed bust left with straight beard. rough-hewn field complements the rugged portrait. as made. with hook for hanging. no doubt scarce, this is the first i can recall seeing. anson unlisted. (manford anson wrote two articles on herzl portraits for the shekel (vol. xvii, #2. pages.27-29 & xvii, #5 pages 17-18,26) but this large plaque is not listed. $175+?
* 521 revisionist's etzel medal. 1948. 28mm cn medal with original loop. hand holding rifle/tower & stockade with barbed wire. struck to honor those members of the irgun who survived british internment in kenya during the war of independence. most of the interned were concentration camp survivors. scarce. ef. $75
* 522 leon blum. (1950). gilt silver 68mm by george lay. his bust right, name above, dates in roman numerals (1872-1950)/4 line french legend within box of dots. scarce. this is not the more common bronze medal. $250+
* 523 david davidson. 1951 silver 31 mm prize medal. his bust slightly right/beehive, wreath and legend. davidson was a swedish scientist. scarce. i believe this is the only medal struck for him. ef $125+
* 525 israel numismatic silver pen. nd (c. 1950?). sterling silver ball point pen. the writing part of the pen works, the clicker does not. the body of the pen depicts replicas of ancient jewish coins (jewish war & bar kochba). neat & attractive.$60+
* 526 chaim weizmann. nd. by kretschmer. ae c. 36 x 48mm. small thin plaquette with high relief portrait of weizmann. uniface with two screws in back as this was likely removed from a wooden frame. i can't recall seeing this before. $40+?
528 Group of Plastic Sommerfin Ship Tokens. Green 5 Agorot (142), 25 Agorot (62), 50 Agorot (72), 100 Agorot (42); Blue 5 Agorot (2), 25, 50, 100 Agorot; Yellow 5, 25 & 50 Agorot and Red 5, 25 and 50 Agorot. About 329 tokens. Sold as is, no returns. $100+
* 529 300th anniversary of the resettlement of jews in great britain 1956. bronze 38 mm by paul vincze. portraits of oliver cromwell & menasseh ben israel between & menorah & a seal of the 1st "new" jewish community/female figure, holding scroll & legend around. unc, jtm-ep64a, shekel #14, 3, p. 30ff $60
* 532 shalom aleichem celluloid pinback button. 1959 for the 100th anniversary of his birth. his bust facing, his name above in yiddish and the dates 1959-1969. we sold a similar button a few years ago for $35. $35
NOTE: A NUMBER OF THE MEDALS LISTED BELOW ESPECIALLY SOME OF THE MEDALS LISTED BY HAFFNER IN HER JUDAIC TOKENS AND MEDALS BOOK HAVE PVC RESIDUE WHICH CAN EASILY BE REMOVED USING ACETONE APPLIED WITH A COTTON SWAB.
* 533 haifa traders assn. 1960. bronze 59mm. coat of arms of the city surrounded by logo. issued for general assembly meeting of assn. ep-22. haffner priced this at $50 and we've seen auction records as high as $70 for this medal! $35+?
* 534 fire fighters service medal. nd (c. 1960). ae60mm. israel fire fighting service with compliments in english & hebrew/biblical quote in flames. jtm-ep-30. as issued. haffner prices this at $75 and we've seen auction records at close to that, although that seems high to us. $40?
* 537 aviation industries medals. 1963. bronze and tombac 59mm. the first issued to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the aviation industry. the 2nd to honor the israel aviation industry employees. ep-27 & ep-28. $45+
* 538 complete set of city, municipality and settlement medals as listed by haffner. cm-p1 to cm-p11. in her book judaic tokens and medals (page 16) syliva haffner lists 11 of these large 59mm. uniface bronze medals. each has a shield, coat of arms or something that signifies the city on its obverse. they are much scarcer than the small 35mm medals that cities and towns issued. the 11 medals are from afula, akko, bat yam, givataim, haifa, herzilya, kiryat ono, menashe, migdal ha'emek, natanya and petah tikva. $125+
* 539 general federation of labour in israel. union of government employees. nd. ae 59mm. "general federation of labour in israel. union of government employees" around the edge, menorah, "with compliments" in center / ben gurion's quote, "the destiny of israel lies in her might and righteousness". seldom seen. $25+
* 540 jerusalem merit presentation medal. nd. ae 61mm. emblem of the city of jerusalem and in hebrew, "council of jerusalem award of encouragement to the outstanding worker". below is a raised area for inscription. uniface. jtm-ep33. this is a scarce medal which i recall seeing only few times before. ex lot #224, nasca's majorie rapoport sale 4/77. $40+
* 541 b'nai b'rith medal. nd. struck to honor the haifa branch of the b'nai b'rith. silvered bronze 60mm. stylized menorah/stylized building, legends both sides. jtm-ep-6. scarce, seldom offered. tiny rim bruise. an example in nasca's rapoport sale of 1977 sold for $65! $25+
* 542 galilee regional council. nd. gilt copper 60mm. tel hai crest and "land of jordan and of the hermonices"/"regional council of upper galilee" in incuse rectangle. ep-18. nicks in field and on rim. scarce. i believe this is the first we've offered in auction. $35+?
* 543 mekorot water company. 1960's. group of 3 silverplated 59mm bronze medals. ep-44a, 44b and 44c. struck for this company which completed numerous water projects in israel in the early 1960's. $50
* 544 shekem army supply depot medal. nd. silvered bronze 59mm. 'supplies and services to members of the israel defence forces" in english around the top, in the center emblem of the shekem, (hebrew letters shin-koph-mem) and below in hebrew "to serve the guards of the people". uniface. jtm mm-21 $25
* 546 albert einstein plaque. 1965 c. 11 x 15" on larger wooden frame (c. 14 x 18 1"). "awarded to dr. and mrs. howard g. rapaport founder...who helped create....albert einstein college of medicine, yeshiva university. " large and impressive, ready for hanging (you need a strong wall). unlisted by flower and unsigned, although perhaps by gilroy roberts. rare. $400+
* 547 in bondage judaea, 1965 silver 57mm by paul vincze. in freedom israel. view of arch of titus showing romans carrying spoils of war, and inset cameos of judaea capta sesterius/4 workers in freedom in modern day israel. one of vincze's most famous medals and seldom offered in this size. $100+
* 549 iranian jewish community. 1966. silver 29.5 mm medal commemorating the 25th anniversary of the shah's reign and issued by the iranian jewish federation. bust of shah left/menorah, hebrew legend. unc. first we've offered in silver in more than 5 years. $150+
* 551 bulgarian circus. 1966. ae 59mm with white, green & red enameled bulgarian flag on left and white and blue enameled israel flag on right. medal struck for the famous bulgarian circus when it visited israel in 1966. ep-10. enameling has peeled off in a few small places. rare, seldom offered for sale. $75?
* 553 russian pin to celebrate 6 day war. 1967 22m. star of david raised in center surrounded by mostly russia legend, also has "67" and israel in hebrew in legend. presumably a pin to express solidarity (?) with israel during the 1967 six day war. we would think rare. i can't recall seeing this before. $50+
* 554 6 day war victory medal. 1967. brass 38mm. depicts a ship loaded with diaspora jews sailing to the shores of israel with a map of israel in background and hebrew legend " return to zion" from jeremiah, 21/symbols of the 12 tribes, "israel's 6 day war 5.vi
- 11.vi.1967" in english and hebrew. cast as made. ef. rare? a similar piece sold for $60 in our sale 31e $50
* 556 jewish ex-policeman in israel. 1967. "white" iron 35mm with tab at top. "association jewish ex-policemen in israel" around circle 1917-1967 in 2 lines in center / "pp" logo (palestine police) and same obverse legend but in hebrew around. vf-ef and scarce. i can't recall seeing this before. $40
* 557 david and goliath. gold medal by paul vincze. 1968 38mm. david slaying the giant/"israel's 20th anniversary" showing map of israel after the 6 day war. this is one of 6 medals vincze did a for the israel heroism series. very rare and only the 3rd or 4th i can recall offering in the past 35 years. some minor hairlines. about .8387 agw $750+
* 558 max nordau. 1968. ae 143 mm by g. varbanov. huge uniface medal with nordau in high relief facing left and "d. m. nordau" in script below . nordau was co-founder with herzl of the world zionist organization. this was made to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the state. huge and impressive. in our spring 2003 sale we sold a smaller nordau medal by varbanov for $275. $175
* 559 theodore herzl. 1968. silver 36mm. his bust in inner frame surrounded by english and hebrew legend, 7 stars of david above/symbols and legend to commemorate israel's 20th anniversary. toned ef. $20
* 560 basel week. 1968. 32mm .900 silver proof medal. pomegranate (as the 500 prutah silver coin) surround by shalom & israel/israel woche basel 1968. incuse 197. franklin mint. a rare israel related medal. $35
* 561 david ben gurion 1968. gold 26mm. .900 fine. bust of ben gurion left/ menorah, magen david to each side. struck in the netherlands and the same series as a similar medal for theodore herzl, but this is much scarcer. pl bu. $200?
* 562 jewish brigade medal. 1969. silvered 59mm. 30th anniversary of the 2nd regiment of the famous wwii jewish brigade. "the fighting jewish brigade, 2nd regiment" all in hebrew around enameled blue, yellow and white emblem of the brigade. jtm-mm-13. ef. scarce seldom offered, this medal was awarded to former members of the brigade. $40
* 563 the frankenhuis collection medal. 1967 ae 76 mm by elizabeth weistrop. in extremely high relief, a mother hugging 2 children (both wearing badges) before being herded into a cattle car/ legend.. ho-2, see the shekel 2, #3, 16. a large and impressive medal. the last we offered in 2002 sold for $275. a very attractive medal commissioned by maurice frankenhuis who built two huge collections of war memorabilia, one for wwi and the for wwii both of which he donated to museums in israel. $250
* 565 haganah 50th anniversary medal. 1968. gilt bronze 59mm. facing bust of eliahu golomb (founder of the haganah) with star of david, within the names of the units in hebrew/sword and olive branch, hebrew legend. mm-7. $40+?
* 567 atomic research center. c. 1970. silver plated bronze 59mm. negev atomic center, camel in foreground/atom symbol, cactus, hebrew legend. jtm-ep3v. haffner lists this as tombac. however almost all i can recall seeing of this scarce medal have been silver-plated. $65+
* 571 israel cancer association. 2 different bronze 59mm uniface medals, ep-26a & ep-26b. the first is undated with the symbol of the association, a sword piercing a cancer cell. the 2nd issued in 1971 for 10th anniversary of the association and is similar to the first but with a stylized 10 in the center as well. $25
* 574 jewish war veterans. 1971. ae 38mm. 75 in logo "jewish war veterans of the u.s.a. 1896-1971" / "diamond jubilee medal 75 years of service to god - country - humanity". as struck and scarce. $35+
* 575 albert einstein. 1971. gold plated bronze 40mm by joseph dilorenzo for the longines symphonette society. his bust, his formula, the sun, stars, etc./legend. flower-26. great american triumphs series. unc. scarce., flower does not list this medal in his book (he lists a gold-plated sterling). the only other one we can recall offering is from the harry flower sale where one sold for $95! $60+
* 576 exodus. 1971. ae 57mm by brian watkins for the macabee mint. jtm-bm-2a. stylized view of 10 commandments/stylized parting of the red sea. the 2nd and final issue of the macabee mint, only 75 pieces of this were minted. scarce. the last we offered in our sale 35b brought $200! see the lot below. $150
* 577 ---lead die trials for the exodus medal. by brian watkins. 75mm 2 uniface trials of the obverse on irregular planchets. 1 with glossy surface and one with dull surface made for inspection by macabee mint principals. jtm-bm-2 $75?
* 578 israel defense forces - medal of valour. 1973 cn 43 mm. a sword and an olive branch atop a star of david, with a yellow ribbon symbolizing the suffering jews in the diaspora. see igcmc cat page 298, #25920102. awarded by the minister of defense on the recommendation of the chief of staff for supreme acts of heroism in time of war. the catalog says that the medal is silver but this is copper-nickel. rare, this and the following are the first we have seen. lots 578-580 and 600 to 601 are all rare idf award medals $250+
* 579 israel defense forces - medal of courage. 1973 cn 42 mm. swords entwined by an olive branch forming the silhouette of a candelabra. the ribbon is red, symbolizing fire, blood and battle. see igcmc cat page 298, #25920209. awarded by the chief of staff for deeds of valour while on combat duty, at the risk of life. the catalog says that the medal is silver but this is copper-nickel. rare, this and the others are the first we have seen. lots 578-580 and 600 to 601 are all rare idf award medals $250+
* 580 israel defense forces - distinguished service medal. 1973 cn 41 mm. a balanced torch between sword and olive branch symbolized controlled strength. the ribbon is blue as in the national colors. see igcmc cat page 298, #25920306. awarded by the chief of staff for deeds of courage. the catalog says that the medal is silver but this is copper-nickel. rare, this and the others are the first we have seen. lots 578-580 and 600 to 601 are all rare idf award medals $250+
* 581 yom kippur war.1973. silver plated bronze 59mm. medals for the regiment which built the bridge on the suez canal during the war. a map showing the suez canal with an arrow pointing to the place where the regiment built bridge and where the canal was crossed, "the crossing regiment, yom kippur war, the crossing of the suez canal 16,10, 73" /. "and the children of israel walked upon dry land" under an arrow pointing to the bridge. scarce. the last, and only other time we can recall selling, we offered sold for $50 in our sale 36c. $50+
* 582 palmach. 1973. ae45mm. 25th anniversary of israel medal. stylized 25 and menorah, the official emblem of the 25th anniversary of israel / palmach logo and legend below. another scarce medal which i don't believe we've offered before. $40
* 583 memorial medal. 1973 cn45mm. issued to commemorate israel's fallen soldiers during her first 25 years of existence. upright sword, entwined with olive branch holding military helmet 1948-1973 and legend / legend above and below shields of israeli defense forces. scarce. $40
* 584 bat yam city hall medal. 1973 ae60mm. issued to honor the dedication of the new city hall in bat yam. stylized view of building, hebrew legends below and around / in a diamond shaped inset, the city emblem of bat yam. an example in nasca's rapoport sale of 1977 sold for $75! $25+?
* 586 medallic history of the jewish people. 1970's. 39 bronze 38 mm medals, in 2 green cardboard pages. missing is the "pogrom" medal, thus this set contains 39 of the final 40 medals of this series, the most popular of all the jewish related medals since 1950. all proof. we normally sell these for $5 & up per medal. this set includes some of the more popular medals such as theodor herzl, marc chagall, the holocaust, albert einstein, david ben-gurion and golda meir. $150+
* 587 salute to israel. a dream fulfilled. nd (1973) silver and bronze 63mm by elizabeth jones. busts of herzl, weizmann, meir and ben-gurion, "wanderers no more" / 2 hands cupping 3 pomegranates,"israel, a dream fulfilled "in english and israel in hebrew. a very impressive set of two. this is the first time in many years that we've offered the set of two in it's original case. issued in honor of the 25th anniversary of the state of israel. the silver medal contains over 5 ounces of .999 silver! $100+
* 588 a medal and a token. 1970's silver 51mm proof by jl for the franklin mint great masterpieces of art which depicts rembrandt's painting of jacob blessing the sons of joseph. proof (a few minor hairlines) and 1926 ae 33 contribution token for the jewish sanitarium for incurables. choice au. 2 high grade items, the first containing over 65 grams of sterling silver, the 2nd usually seen in vf. $50
* 590 wolyn memorial medal. nd (c. 1974) by karen worth and joeseph di lorenzo (designed by nat sobel). ae 69mm. legend above the heichal wolyn memorial building, prophetic figure below / a memorial candle surrounded by names of 64 different shtetles, above legend referring to 1, 000, 000 martyers, 1000 year history and 100 communities. jmm ho-7. scarce, 1st i can recall offering in many years. $50+?
* 593 volleyball spring cup. 1976. silvered bronze 59mm. volleyball player blocking ball, "volleyball spring cup israel 5-14.4.76" in english and hebrew / "sports federation of israel" in hebrew and english around emblem of organization. another scarce medal that i cannot recall seeing before. $40
* 594 dr. aubrey joffe presentation set. 1976. six coins, 1976 us 25`a2, 50`a2 and $1 along with 1976 israeli 10 agorot, 25 agorot & 1 lira embedded in lucite holder (c. 7 x 4 1/2") with gilt lettering dr. aubrey joffe (at top) and a.i.n.a tour march 1976 at bottom. obviously unique. $25+?
* 595 grand commanders conference. 1976. silvered bronze 59 mm. crowned double headed eagle, 1966-1976 to either side, "26th conference of the european grand commanders jerusalem 1976" in english and hebrew all in recessed circle, "the supreme council of the 33 for israel" in english and hebrew around / view of the old city, "jerusalem city of peace" above. i can't recall offering this medal before. nasca had one on a fixed price list at $40 circa 1980. $50+?
* 597 israel-egypt peacetreaty. 1978. silvered bronze 59mm. busts of begin, carter and sadat in circular picture "one father for us all" in english, hebrew and arabic / an egyptian and israeli planting a tree, with pyramids behind. randolph #15. (the shekel vo. 38, #2, p. 28ff). toned ef. scarce. $40+?
* 598 albert einstein. 1979. bronze 93mm by allen sloane. his bust right/a small sailboat under the night sky. flower-56. no more than 25 of these were made, all hand cast by the "lost wax" process. rare, only the 2nd we can recall seeing. the example in harry flower's collection sold for $150 7+ years ago. $250+
* 599 simon wiesenthal. 1980 ae76mm by frank gasparro and sandra walker. facing bust/torch of liberty divides maps of the amercas and europe, asia and africa. "keeper of the flame to the conscience of the world". 7 mm thick medal. $40
* 600 idf special commendation medal. nd (probably 1990's). cn35mm with olive branch entwined sword superimposed on the right side of a star of david with a white ribbon with two blue stripes on each side. probably similar in nature to 578-580 but unlisted in the igcmc catalog. most likely awarded to a soldier by the commander in chief or a general. lots 578-580 and 600 to 601 are all rare idf award medals $200+?
* 601 idf special commendation medal. nd (probably 1990's). cn35mm with olive branch entwined sword and a flag superimposed on a star of david with a white ribbon with two blue stripes on each side. similar to the above lot most likely awarded to a soldier by the commander in chief or a general. lots 578-580 and 600 to 601 are all rare idf award medals $200+?
* 602 50th anniversary of the liberation of the concentration camps. 1995. sterling silver 42 mm by gyorgy kiss. bp mintmark (budapest, hungary). "in memory of the liberation of concentration camps 1945-1995. hungarian auschwitz foundation" in english and hungarian with broken barbed wire fence in center/candles of remembrance. proof-like and rare in silver. $100+
603 Miscellaneous Group. 11 IGCMC Season's Greetings Tokens; Operation Jonathan Tombac 59mm medal, 2 Israel-Canada Friendship medals; Meyer Kaufman Porcelain token; Century of Progress 1933 Bronze Unc; 1949 25 Mils Closed Link in Unc, Dachau 10 Pfennig PMF token in zinc (I believe this is WWI era) and 8 mint sets (1975, 1976, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1985 (2). 26 items, some scarce. Sold as is, no returns. $75+
604 Miscellenia. A potpourri of numismatic items. A vinyl Pidyon Haben box, without the coins, but in a white box with the scroll; 5 Blue velvet lined IGCMC cases for medals (empty), each with gilt metal State of Israel symbol- 1) For 3 piece Bar Mitzvah gold set; 2) For 3 piece gold Liberation set; 3 & 4) For 59 mm Medal of Liberation; 5) For 6 piece Bar Mitzvah set; MS-4 Mint Set, 6 different Pruta Denominations (large) card is nice, cellophane a bit crinkled and 2 x MS-7a 1963 Blue and White Mint Set with inverted 1 Agora. 9 items in this lot. $50+
* 605 group of 8 military medals listed in haffner's judaic tokens and medals. mm-3 disabled veterans, mm-8 haganah honor guard, mm-15 paratroopers free jump, mm-18a and mm-18c ramat gan paratroopers, mm-19 6 day war paratroopers, mm-21 shekem army supply depot and mm-22 shekem officers medal. 8 medals, mm-8, 18a and 18c are 45mm, others are 59mm. haffner prices these at $250, mm-8 and mm-19 are scarce. $125+
* 606 group of sports medals as listed in haffner's judaic tokens and medals. sm-5a and 5b 8th hapoel games, sm-6a 9th hapoel games, sm-8 hapoel championship games. this is an unlisted gold-plated one for basketball without a year being designated. also sm-13 5th maccabiah olympics, sm-15a 7th maccabiah olympics and sm-16a 8th maccabiah olympics. 7 medals. $75+
* 607 group of sports medals. high school athletics competition. as haffner sm-9 and varieties. 1) handball c. 40 x 55, bronze uniface with chrome state emblem and gold plated silhouette; 2) as a but for track (sm-9d); 3) as b but silvered uniface with copper silhouette and 4) c. 55 x 65mm silver on bronze with copper inlay for track. $50+
RELIGIOUS, CEREMONIAL AND RELATED OBJECTS (back to top)
* 608 bezalel mezuzzah. brass c. 65 x 19mm. on the back, "made in palestine" in english and "bezalel jerusalem" in hebrew. with small eyelet holes at top and bottom to secure to door jam. scarce? $80+
* 610 "kosher" spoon. silver tea spoon made for lou g. siegel, inc which was a landmark new york (mid-town manhattan) kosher restaurant in business for 75+ years (now closed). made by meriden. the makers name is double engraved on the back. $35+?
* 611 talit clips. 1950's? each about 39mm, one depicting a view of the old city of jerusalem, the other with various biblical symbols and attached to each by a small bar with "israel" and a menorah. each medallion has a clip to secure to talit to prevent from slipping. the 2nd medallion says "made in israel in sterling". we believe it was made in israel, although we doubt it was made in sterling. attractive. $35+
* 612 charity box. c. 1950's. jnf/kkl. blue, white and brown with hook for hanging, key hole at bottom to empty the box and slot at top to make donation. c. 3 3/4 x 4/ 3/4 x 2", vf, some signs of aging $100+?
* 613 "noah's ark" savings box. c. 1950. produced by bank leumi. in green and red with blue, red, yellow and white enameling. certainly unusual. i don't believe i've ever seen something like this. vf, but attractive. $150+
* 614 herziliyah savings box. c. 1950. blue, with logo of bank at center, two hands clasping with globe behind. mainly blue, with enameling in red, black, white, blue and yellow. much more professional looking than the "noah's ark" box. $40+
* 617 hanukkah menorah. nd. brass with two lions of judah to either side of state of israel logo. the shamus sits atop a star of david which screws into the rest of the menorah. very attractive. $75+?
* 619 brass rectangular tray. 1921. c. 13 1/2 x 8 1/4" made by "mendelssohn 1921 no. 222". below that is what is probably a company logo which looks to us like an m entwined with something else. attractive flower design on front of tray. $125+
* 620 brith abraham presentation cup with two handles. 1910. silver plate. c. 4+" tall. "1885-1910" "sluezewo eleazar" "lodge no. 89" "oba" with the b inside a star of david. brith abraham was founded in 1859 and was at one time the largest jewish fraternal organization in the world although never as "important" as b'nai b'rith. this cup was given to mr. eleazar on his 25th year of membership. brith abraham memorabilia is much scarcer than b'nai b'rith material and we've only offered a handful of items over the years. this is especially attractive. $100+
* 621 congregation beth shalom. nd. sterling silver presentation "carafe" with stopper. presented to "d. hochberg". c. 8" tall. some bumps and dings. both the carafe itself and the stopper are marked "sterling". presumably this beth shalom was in brooklyn. see lot below $60+?
* 622 sterling silver presentation spice box. 1945. c. 8 1/4" elaborate box with flags and bells. the base is hand inscribed, "pres to d. hochberg by jacor auerbach ben assn. feb. 25, 1945". presumably this is the same d. hochberg who also received the carafe. very attractive and no doubt rare. presumably from brooklyn also. $400?
* 623 silver pen knife. 1958. c. 49mm. vine leaves and a bunch of grapes, "made in israel" at one end and "sterling 925" at the other. the other side has logo of the 10th anniversary celebration, "jerusalem" in hebrew, king david's tower & citadel and "silver 935." $60+
A RUN OF SILVER MAGNUS MUSEUM JEWISH-AMERICAN HALL OF FAME MEDALS (back to top)
* 624 herbert lehman. 1974 silver medal by jacques schnier (his only previous numismatic work was the us bay bridge 50`a2 commemorative of 1936). the 6th in the magnus museum's jewish american hall of fame series high relief bust of lehman/to do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with thy god" around a high relief star of david and tzaddik in hebrew. presently for sale on jahf website for $100! $75
* 625 gershom seixas 1975 jewish american hall of fame medal. silver trapezoid by gerta wiener. bust of the "patriotic rabbi"/jewish patriots marching with menorah and torah. presently on the jahf website at $100! $75
* 626 henrietta szold 1976 silver medal by gerta wiener. the 8th in the magnus museum's jewish american hall of fame series. bust of szold with a book/ szold with children and hebrew & english legends. presently on the jahf website at $150! very scarce! $100+
* 627 touro synagogue 1977 silver trapezoid medal by victor reis. the 9th in the magnus museum's jewish american hall of fame series. view of the outside of the synagogue in newport ri/torahs and george washington's famous quote, "the united states gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.". rare. unpriced on jahf website which lists the bronze at $75! $100+
* 628 levi strauss. 1979 silver medal by hal reed. the magnus museum's jewish american hall of fame series. bust of strauss, everyone knows his first name/ western scene. jahf is sold out of both the bronze and silver medals, we haven't offered a silver by itself in auction for more than 9 years! $100+
* 629 jonas salk 1980 silver medal by hal reed. the 12th in the magnus museum's jewish american hall of fame series. salk with microscope/2 boys playing ball, a third with crutches, holds balloon and looks on. sold out on jahf website. $75
* 630 rebecca gratz 1981 silver medal by greta wiener. struck to commemorate the 200th birthday of this educator, philanthropist and heroine of walter scott's ivanhoe. the 13th medal in the magnus museum's jewish american hall of fame series. sold out on jahf website. $75
* 631 emma lazarus 1983 silver medal by gerta wiener. the 15th in the magnus museum's jewish american hall of fame series. her portrait in a border with her signature and famous quote/hopeful immigrants on ship viewing statue of liberty. both the bronze and silver pieces are "sold out" on the jahf website. $75+
* 632 adolph ochs. 1985 silver trapezoid medal by gerta wiener. the 17th in the magnus museum's jewish american hall of fame series. his bust/people reading, buying newspaper, the new york times, all the news that's fit to print. this is the first time since at least 1994 that we've offered the silver medal at auction by itself. listed on jahf website at $125! $100
* 633 benjamin cardozo. 1987 silver trapezoid medal by gerta wiener. the 19th in the magnus museum's jewish american hall of fame series. his bust/supreme court building. first we've offered in auction since the spring of 2000. both the bronze and silver versions are sold out on the jahf website. $110+
* 634 uriah p. levy. 1988 silver trapezoid medal by hal reed. the 20th in the magnus museum's jewish american hall of fame series. his bust, ship etc in the background / monticello. both the bronze and silver versions are sold out on the jahf website. $100+
* 635 benny goodman. 1989 silver trapezoid medal by marika somogyi. the 21th in the magnus museum's jewish american hall of fame series. goodman playing clarinet/goodman playing in front of dancers, the king of swing. 1909-1986. both the bronze and silver medals are sold out on the jahf website. $100+
* 636 bela schick 1990 silver medal by gerta wiener. the 22nd in the hall of fame series. schick with young patient/young girl running, the world is kept alive by the breath of children (from the talmud). listed for $100 on jahf website. $75
* 637 ernestine rose 1994 jewish american hall of fame medal. silver trapezoid by gerta wiener. portrait of rose, legend to left/a view or rose from behind addressing a crowd. low mintage and scarce, 1st we've offered. ernestine rose was among the leaders of the woman's movement for equal rights in the 19th century. listed for $100 on jahf website! $75
* 638 barbra streisand. 1997 jewish american hall of fame medal. silver trapezoid by alex shagin. bust of streisand facing half left/streisand in gown on stage. low mintage and scarce, rarely offered. listed at $125 on jahf website. $100
* 639 1st jewish settlers in america. 1999. silver trapezoid by alex shagin for the jewish-american hall of fame series. group of jewish settlers coming ashore in new amsterdam, asser levy penning a letter, ships in background/the mill street synagogue, the 1st synagogue in america, in the wall street area of manhattan established by the spanish-portuguese congregation. governor peter stuyvesant didn't want the jews to stay and didn't allow jewish men to serve in the militia, levy sued and won the right to bear arms and help guard the city. both the bronze and silver medals are sold out on the jahf website. shagin's medasl are always in demand. $100
* 640 bess myerson 2001 jewish american hall of fame medal. silver trapezoid by alex shagin. facing bust of her, quotation at left/myerson in swimsuit with crown after being named miss america. low mintage and scarce. listed for $100 on jahf website. another shagin medal! $75
OFFICIAL STATE, COMMISSIONED AND PRESENTATION MEDALS OF ISRAEL (back to top)
* 641 sm-1a liberation/judaea capta. 1958 silver 38mm. israel's first silver medal, struck for her 10th anniversary. group of 5 pieces, plus 2 pieces of the 1938 kofer hayishuv 1/2 mil brass tokens in ef. 7 piece lot $100
* 642 sm-1c reverse uniface pattern in copper-nickel. 61mm. extremely rare, we have seen only one other of these patterns in 38+ years of handling israel medals. haffner mentions that this exists (page sm-1b-a of israel's money and medals.) however it is unlisted in either her earlier work or the igcmc catalog. of extreme rarity, probable mintage of 3 to 5 pieces. $400+
* 644 sm-1e. medal of liberation with plugs. 1961, bronze 61 mm. both kagan and the igcmc catalog list this medal as 59mm. i believe they are both wrong as everyone that i have been able to track has been 61mm. this only makes sense as both the regular copper issue and the silver issue are also 61mm. a similar piece sold for $70 in our last sale. $60
* 646 sm-1f. medal of liberation with plugs or more properly balloons. igcmc unlisted. 1961, silver 61mm . only 386 minted. nice as issued. probably from type i zechovoy dies, but without either sterling or silver on edge. the silver plugs almost always come "polished". scarce. toned. $100+
* 662 sm-21a. liberation (3rd). 1962. silver 59mm. the famous judaea capta/ israel liberata medal which depicts the roman judaea capta sestertius on one side and the liberation scene on the other. $65+
* 666 sm-29a. 1963 terra sancta medal. silver 59mm. a relief of the holyland in the style of ancient maps/love thy neighbor as thyself in hebrew, english and latin. also known as the pilgrim medal. unc. $70+
* 667 sm -29v. terra sancta pattern or trial strike. (1963) bronze 35mm. an extremely rare pattern. a few obverse handling marks. the only other we can recall offering was in the fall of 2000 when a similar piece sold for $375. $350
* 671 sm-31a. immigrant blockade runners 1964. silver 59mm. map showing course of "blockade runners" through the mediterranean/ship, with immigrants, breaking though barbed-wire fence. kretschmer mint. $65+
* 673 sm-40v. jewish legion pattern in bronze. 1967 45mm. struck for the 50th anniversary of the first judaens a unit of the british expeditionary forces in wwi. i only know of one other of these exceedingly rare trial pieces. $500+?
681 Complete City Coin-Medals in silver. 9 silver 45mm. One side of each medal shows an ancient coin used in that city and the other side a modern (1965-66) scene of the city. All as issued. CCM 1a-9a. About 13 ounces of actual silver weight in this set. $200
682 Group of 35mm silver medals. SM-1d, 2b, 3a, 4a, 5a, 6b, 12c, 15b, 16a, 21b, 29b, 31b and 35a. Liberation-1, Valour, B'nai B'rith, Tel-Aviv Jubilee, Hadassah without inscription, Bar Kochba, Bar Mitzvah, Shavit, Kadman, Liberation-2, Terra Sancta, Blockade Runners and Masada. 13 silver medals, the B'nai B'rith, Hadassah, Shavit and Kadman being scarce to very scarce. $600
683 Group of Silver 45mm state medals. SM-12m, SM-37a, SM-38a, SM-39a, SM-41a, SM-42a and CM-60. Bar Mitzvah, Masada, Israel Museum, Rothschild, Sinai, Balfour, El Al and Wildlife (Hai Bar). 8 silver medals, 2 by Paul Vincze, one by Ben Shahn. $185
684 Group of 11 large Silver 59mm State Medals. Consists of SM-1c, 2a, 6a, 12b, 14a, 21a, 24a, 28a, 29a, 31a and 46a. Liberation, Valour, Bar Kochba, Bar Mitzvah, 2nd Bible, Liberation-2, Ghetto Fighters, 1st Settlers, Terra Sancta, Blockade Runners and Jerusalem-Knesset. 11 medals, some better, the SM-14a 2nd Bible is very scarce. $625+
685 Group of State and Commissioned Medals. Liberation, Liberation with plugs, Tel-Aviv Jubilee, Bar Mitzvah, Pablo Casals, Kadman Museum, Synagogues, AJC, 2nd Harp, Liberation-2, HUC, Ghetto Fighters, 3rd Festival, 1st Settlers, Blockade Runners, Masada, First Harp (CM-2b), Tourism (1962), Remembrance Day, 4th Israel Festival (silver-plate), Fifth Israel Festival (silver-plate), Public Transportation and ZIM. Also Israel-Canada (CN39mm in card), Stokes-Manderville 45mm and Jerusalem City-Coin 45mm. 26 medals, the first 23 59mm bronze or tombac (except where noted). Some better medals in this group. $175+
* 686 cm-1,. b'nai b'rith. 1959 bronze 61mm. only 197 were struck, all presented to delegates at the 1959 convention. as is typical with the early israel bronze medals the planchets were polished before striking and most of them have a harshly cleaned look. this is, by far, the nicest we've seen and looks only slightly cleaned. the last we offered in auction in the fall of 2003 was harshly cleaned and sold for $135 $150+
* 687 cm-2a. 1st harp. 1959. copper 61mm. only 200 of these were struck. as with most early commissioned medals, this "looks" like it has been cleaned. scarce. inscription is crude and flat. much nicer than most we have seen. $50+
* 689 cm-2d? 1st harp competition. 1960? tombac, brass, or bronze 61mm, 120.5 grams. type a, crude and flat lettering. "cleaned" look indicating it was an early strike but this is an unclassified piece as the only variety that haffner lists in this size and weight is cm-2d which is tombac. igcmc did not start issuing tombac medals until the mid-1960's. rare?, unpubished? $125
* 690 cm-3. hadassah hospital. 1960 bronze 59mm. as sm-5 but with added obverse inscription, "presented by the israel government tourist corporation to". this is an extremely rare presentation issue. we can recall offering this only once in the past 15 or so years. (sale 30f, fall 2000 at $500). the listed mintage is 500 but it seems much rarer than that. $550?
* 691 cm-7, shavit til. 1962. silver 59mm. the very rare commissioned medal which was awarded to the scientists who worked on israel's first satellite. the obverse has a beautiful black background, while the reverse is one of only two israel medals which depict david ben-gurion's signature. one of only 450 pieces struck at the amanograph mint. some handling marks on the reverse which are usual, but still among the nicest we've seen. 1st we've offered in quite some time. $450
* 692 cm-7a. shavit "til" 1962 silvered brass 59mm. plain edge trial piece. similar to above. haffner says that the brass medals are trial pieces made before they were struck in silver. she does not mention them being silvered but this one obviously is (it's not pure silver as one can see the brass under the silver in various places). igcmc does not list either brass or silvered brass thus lending credence to the trial pieces theory. this is the 2nd piece we've seen silvered, the last in the fall of 2000 sold for $600. extremely rare. $675+
* 695 cm-8v tourism award 1962. silver 59mm. unlisted in either haffner's israel's money and medals or the igcmc catalog although in her 1970 opus the history of modern israel's money she lists this medal as pm-10a. but she gives no mintage figure. while there is no indication of silver or sterling mentioned on the edge there is also no evidence of bronze showing through either. i cannot recall seeing this medal offered before. of extreme rarity . $500+
* 696 cm-9. hebrew union college. 1963 b59mm. never offered for sale by igcmc, this was presented to those who attended the final construction meeting for the archaeological school. only 496 minted. $75
* 697 cm-10. third israel festival. 1963 bronze 59mm. only 200 minted total in both bronze and silverplated. rare and seldom offered. as struck, with a very tiny rim nick. the last we sold in auction was in the fall of 2000 when a similar piece sold for $225. $200+
BIDS CAN BE SENT VIA MAIL, PHONE, FAX AND EMAIL. WE MUST RECEIVE THEM BY 11-13-08
* 701 cm-24. israel bonds. 1965 bronze 59mm. with levi eshkol's signature. these medals are presented to those who have been extraordinarily successful in the selling of israel bonds. while no mintage figures are known, they are rare and much in demand. the specimens with eshkol's signature seem to be a touch more difficult to find than the ones with golda meir's signature (see below). $275+
* 703 cm-26. yad vashem. 1965, tombac 59mm. also known as the righteous among gentiles, this is, perhaps, the most sought after of all israel commissioned medals. 50 pieces were struck and awarded to members of the martyr's and heroes remembrance authority commission and no further medals will be struck. virtually as issued $400
* 704 cm-26a. yad vashem. 1965, silver 59mm. as above. no mintage figures are known for the silver pieces but they are much rarer than in tombac the only other one we can recall offering was in our sale 30c where one sold in very spirited bidding for $800. it is our understanding that the silver pieces were minted "as needed" until 1980 and after that copper-nickel pieces were struck for the same purpose. $800+?
* 706 cm-39. jerusalem restoration. 1969 tombac 59mm. also known as "the mayor's medal for official awards". this is the variety that says, with compliments of teddy kollek in english, with his english signature. teddy kollek was an ardent numismatist. his collection of ancient coins was sold by bank leu about 5 or 6 years ago. $75+
* 708 cm-42b. dr. david de sola pool. 1971. silver 59mm. rare. 285 medals. kagan (haffner magnus) indicates that 60 medals were struck in 1970 with a menorah, the remaining 225 in 1976 without a menorah. however igcmc indicates all 285 were struck in 1971 without a menorah. the last we offered sold for $160. $150+
* 709 cm-45. bank of israel. 1971 tombac 59mm. only 505 pieces were minted for the bank of israel which were presented "for outstanding service to the state of israel in the promotion and marketing of its coins and medals". as struck $85+
* 710 cm-45a. bank of israel. 1971 silver45 mm. only 250 pieces were minted for the bank of israel which were presented "for outstanding service to the state of israel in the promotion and marketing of its coins and medals". this one is personally inscribed to the famed numismatic author, curator of the jewish museum and collector yakov meshorer. this is the first example in silver i can recall ever offering, the fact that it was inscribed to one of the giants of numismatics makes this even more desirable. $450+?
* 714 cm-47v. exchange national bank. 1972 tombac 45mm test strike. of extreme rarity, only 5 pieces minted as noted in haffner (page cm-47 note) and igcmc #15905451. this is the first i can recall seeing, i do not think that even the famed kagan-maremba collection contained an example. $1000?
* 715 cm-49, munich synagogue. 1972 silver 45mm. a surprisingly difficult medal to locate, this medal was issued when a new synagogue was dedicated in munich on the site of the central synagogue burned down by the nazis in 1938. see lot #494 for a medal commemorating the opening of the previous synagogue in 1887, $100?
* 716 cm-51. school of pharmacy. 1972. tombac 59mm. the school/dead seas scrolls. one of the rarest of all commissioned medals only 250 pieces were minted. the only other one we can recall offering since at least the mid-1990's came from a collection formed by a pharmacist. $200+
* 719 cm-55. commerce and industry. 1973. tombac 59mm. globe with hami bar-lev's name and signature incuse/stylized menorah. only 498 minted, very seldom offered for sale. this is only the 2nd i can recall offering in at least 15 years! $250
* 725 cm-61 raphael. 1973 tombac 59mm. the official commissioned medal for the raphael which is the authority for development in means of fighting and presented to employees upon completion of 25 years of service. an extremely rare medal and the first i can recall offering or having seen for sale. also see lot #739 $600?
* 730 cm-72a variety golda meir prime minister medal. 1972. silvered bronze (?) 35mm, english variety. (27.98 grams). rare variety which is not in a key ring (see below for another). we believe that this is an unlisted silvered bronze example of this scarce medal. haffner lists a bronze piece at 28 grams, while igcmc does not list a bronze medal at all. dull unc. rare. i have found no record of offering the golda meir medal in any variety in at least 13 1/2 years! $400+
* 731 cm-72d. yitzhak rabin prime minister medal. 1975. bronze 35mm but not in the key ring. 23.62 grams which is far less than the listed weight of 28 grams. either a rare "thin" variety or the listed weight is wrong which is more likely the case. in any case we don't believe that we've offered this medal without the key ring before. since the key ring was soldered on it would be easy to detect if this was just removed from the ring. some handling marks. very rare $400?
* 732 cm-74. benei-beraq jubilee. 1974 tombac 59m. issued for the 50th anniversary of the municipality and rare. stylized panorama of benei-beraq within incuse 10 commandment type tablet/the town's coat of arms. the supposed mintage is 742, but this is the first i can recall having! $400+
* 733 cm-77. hassneh insurance co. 50th anniversary. 1975 gilt tombac 59mm. another very rare and seldom seen medal. we can recall offering the tombac medal only once (sale 36c @$385). however not only have we not offered it in gilt, we have never even heard of another example in gilt!. neither haffner nor the igcmc mention this and it is our supposition that this was presented to a very high official of the company. $450?
* 735 cm-87. rare variety of bank leumi le-israel 75th anniversary. 1977 tombac 59mm. originally formed as the anglo-palestine company it was an important and vital cog in eretz-israel and was the issuing authority of the first two issues of state of israel banknotes. while 29.974 medals were minted haffner states that only "a few were struck with the inscription , 'state of israel' in english and hebrew, instead of just 'israel.' " the igcmc catalog only mentions the common variety. this has "state of israel" on the edge. $150+?
* 737 cm-106b. shin bet medal. (1973-). silver-plated tombac 59mm. type with menorah & hebrew legend "general defence services" to the left/"shield and unseen protector of israel". struck to honor members of israel's intelligence service. extremely rare. the 3 examples we've had in the past have sold for between $550 and $715. $700+
* 738 cm-106b. shin bet medal. (1973-). tombac 59mm. type with menorah & hebrew legend "general defence services" to the left/"shield and unseen protector of israel". struck to honor members of israel's intelligence service. while we've a had a few of these silver-plated (see above), we cannot recall seeing an unplated example! a few nicks on the obverse. $1000+?
* 739 cm-116. raphael retirement. 1982 tombac 59mm. emblem, legend/olive-branch and word, legend. commissioned by "raphael" to present to their members who retire. raphael is the authority for development of weapons in israel. while the mintage figure is unknown, this is very rare and i believe this is the first time we've offered it for sale. for a related item, see lot #725 $250+
* 741 pm-3 tsva hagana l'israel. 1961. silver 38mm. emblem of the hagana, a sword entwined with an olive-branch / emblems of the 4 branches of the defense forces. choice toned unc., very attractive. $30
* 742 pm-3b tsva hagana l'israel. 1961. bronze 38mm. (haffner mistakenly lists at 40mm). as above. unc., a few minor areas of discoloration. this later issue is more difficult to find than the silver version above. $40
* 743 pm-4. medical society of israel. 1962, bronze 59mm. rare, issued upon the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the society. seldom offered, the last we sold in the fall of 2000 was for $190. this medal is ex yitzak avni sale of april 1980 lot #283. $175+
* 744 pm-5. dentistry school. 1964, bronze 38mm. struck for the dedication of the school. please note that haffner magnus wrongly lists this medal as 33mm (it is 38mm) and that the correct weight is 20.47 grams or so rather than 30 grams. scarce. some handling marks on reverse $75+
* 746 ant-1. aina tour medal. masada. 1969, tombac 35mm (24.47 grams). 100 pieces were struck for aina's 1st tour. some very light handling marks. haffner lists the weight at 27 grams, igcmc lists it at 23 grams, this piece is closer to the igcmc listing. $60+
* 748 ant-6. aina tour medal. aina token 1974, brass 30mm. 100 pieces were struck for aina's 6th tour. as issued. plain edge 11.15 grams which is close to the igcmc reported weight of 11 grams. sylvia haffner was erroneous in her listed weight of 25 grams. $40+
* 749 ant-8. aina tour medal. aina token 1976, brass 30mm. as issued. 11.18 grams which is close to the igcmc reported weight of 11 grams. sylvia haffner was erroneous in her listed weight of 25 grams. 100 pieces were struck for aina's 8th tour per igcmc while haffner says there is a mintage of 150 pieces $40+
JUDAIC AND HOLY LAND PAPER (back to top)
We have divided this section into financial, historical and graphic paper and these categories are at least somewhat arbitrary. We end with Holocaust related memorabilia, most of which is paper. We also suggest that you take a look at the following lots in part one of this catalog which could definitly be listed here. Lots. 383, 383a, 386-389, 391-453, 456-464 and 467.
FINANCIAL PAPER (back to top)
* 751 august belmont & co. 1865 gold receipt for $86.67. belmont was a us banker, diplomat and politician who was born in hesse. he claimed descent from the distinguished sephardic family of belmonte but others say his original family name was schoenberg. he apprenticed at the rothschild bank and later when he opened his own banking house he still represented the rothschilds until his death in 1890. he was very active in democratic party politics from 1860-1872, was the founder of the us (horse) racing club and both the belmont racetrack and the belmont stakes were named after him. ef, hole punched with staple removed. $100+?
* 752 philip speyer & co. 1865 new york. second of exchange for is (israel?) cohen of bremen issued by philip speyer & co, the ny branch of the frankfurt bank. intrestingly while the note is almost entirely in german (except for the name of the company and new york) there is a us revenue stamp at left. signed by george (nee gustav) speyer. vf, staple holes. $50+
* 753 kollel note. 1896. 1000 gold francs. sephardic committee of jerusalem. contributed by mr. moshe hachoen hadad. for the poor, for burial, for learning. funds received via the "great minister of the british government" (consul?). signed by joseph nissim and others. hand stamp of h. a. (hayyim aharon) valeru, who was president of the israelite community of jerusalem in 1891 and a famous money changer. with a vignette of western wall printed at top and 3 elaborate handstamps on the lower portion of the note, one with the western wall one of sephardic community of jerusalem and the 3rd of the grand rabbi of jerusalem, the later two in western, hebrew and arabic letters. the signatures of the kollel members are very beautiful rashi types. one of the most interesting of these that we have seen. fine+, small corner missing. no doubt rare. interestingly the valero family has recently been in the news in jerusalem saying that they are the rightful owner of land located near the damascus gate in the old city which they claim the state never compensated them for. i.e. land seized after the six day war. land, that they say, aharon valero purchased in 1921. see ha'aretz 17 april 2008 $100+
* 754 jewish colonial trust. 1901 share warrant (# 41865). in each corner are vignettes of life in palestine at the turn of the century. the most beautiful of all palestine certificates and the most important financial instrument of the zionist organization. tears at folds and along edges. still decent. see the lot below for a similar, yet different item. $100+
* 755 jewish colonial trust. 1902 share certificate (# 76175). as above. issued to matilda sapir of odessa, russia. russian revenue stamp on back. vf, some tears at folds, but decent. the lot above is a share warrant, this is a "named" share certificate. $125+?
* 756 kohelet share certificate. 1910-11?. teacher association in eretz israel. certificate for 1 share of 20 francs in the company for the publication of books in science, teaching and reading in hebrew in schools. ornate certificate with vignettes in each corner. fine, with some fraying at edges and 6 coupons attached. at the beginning of the 20th century the teachers association was involved in a dispute as some teachers, especially in urban areas, refused to teach hebrew and continued to instruct their students in german or yiddish. the association finally prevailed upon it's members to use (sephardic) hebrew. scarce, 1st i can recall seeing.$75+
* 757 sugar coupon. 1916. warsaw. for 275 grams of sugar. good in the 14th district of warsaw. in german, polish and yiddish and issued by the jewish community of warsaw presumably sometime after the germans entered warsaw. hand written endorsement on back. date is handwritten on front of coupon. no doubt rare. f-vf $75+
* 758 keren kayemeth le israel (jewish national fund). 1918. voluntary contribution receipt of 20 marks to help purchase land. signed by e. rothschild of hamburg. the surname of rothschild is easy to recognize, the first name is difficult. with vignette of farmer sowing a field with magen david and hebrew initals at left and map of eretz israel at right. jnf (partial) handstamp in german at right. f-vf and scarce. $50?
* 759 hazomir cooperative. c. 1917-1919. lodz, poland. chit issued by jewish cooperative committee in lodz in the turek district. in yiddish and polish, with the denomination being 2 f., which most likely is fenig thus dating this to the short period of german occupation after wwi. vf, on gray cardboard. rare. $75+
* 761 gymnasium tachkemauni, jaffa. 1920's. the school, under the auspices of rabbi a. i. cook, which was the first of it's kind "to raise the flag of real judaism in eretz-israel and the teaching hebrew". vf, some pinholes and minor stains, small tear. still intact including counterfoil. i don't believe we've offered this before, certainly not since at least 1994. $50?
* 762 berthold goldman vouchers. 1920's-1930's? from kozichovice, moravia. 1 and 2 kronen paper chits, with perforations still intact. this was an agricultural supply store and agricultural implements can be seen in the embossed seal on each note. in german and czech. ef. scarce. kozichovice is a small village near trebic about 65 kilometers west of brno in what is now the czech republic. little is known about the jewish population in kozichovice, but trebic had an active jewish population, with a jewish quarter and leopold loew a famed 19th century hungarian rabbi went to the yeshiva there. $50+?
* 763 keren hayesod, palestine fund in romania. 1925. attractive certificate with star of david underprint in green showing that saie singer of bucharest donated 4000 lei to the fund and had until the end of 1926 to pay it. signed by dr. s. mibashan who headed the fund in romania and continued his work for the fund in eretz-israel. attractive, a few minor tape reparis on the back and a pencil notation as well. $70+?
* 764 yehuda magidovitz. 1926. anglo-palestine check for 121.50 egyptian pounds issued by h. sterling. magidovitz (1886-1961) was a famous and influential architect in the early days of tel aviv. among his works was the grand synagogue, the seaside casino, hadassah hospital, hotel ben-hachum and the hotel nordau. the check has various hand stamps as well as adhesive revenues and is endorsed by magidovitz in hebrew on the back. vf, two filing holes. comprehensive data on magidovitz in hebrew is included. $70+
* 765 general motors, jerusalem. 1927. promissory note of 10 april 1927 for 1228.50 egyptian piastres for a chevrolet touring car. has two revenue stamps, tied by signature, plus various handstamps (including one of a fingerprint) and signed by arthur s. smith. f-vf, pin holes and a filing hole. the buyer seems to be mohamed shaheen of hebron. $30+?
* 766 anglo-palestine co. 1927. a ledger page in hebrew and english, dated 14 july 1927. with handstamp over opda - eef revenue adhesive stamp. for marcus kutcher. a neat piece of eretz-israel financial history. vf. $120+
* 767 russian jewish lottery, ozet land cultivation company 1929. this lottery was designed to "assist" in the jewish settlement project in the ussr including relocation and was part of the soviet plan of eliminating as much as possible the existing jewish culture and creating a new jewish communist culture. a set of 5 different notes for the five years in which the lottery was held. 1927, 1929, 1931, 1932 and 1935. the script in these notes is in numerous languages including russian, yiddish, ukranian, armenian and georgian. all notes depict a tractor, some show a worker in the field and a few also depict a factory worker. the prizes included trips to us cities and the results were published in russian and yiddish newspapers including some in the us. scarce, especially as a (complete?) set. mostly vf.$100?
* 768 carmel wine co. inc. share certificate. 1930. 1 share. to david idelovitch. incorporated in new york in 1919 with embossed blue seal at lower left. today carmel is the largest winery in israel. ex lot 620 of nasca's r. weiss sale, 1978 at $55. $50?
* 769 joseph deutsch, jerusalem - tel-aviv. "licensed broker, in real estate....gold and precious stones". 1931. contract between deutsch and mrs. r. elishkavitch for a bond of the belgian government for 250 francs at a cost of 2 1/2 pounds on the signing, 500 mils on the 1st of each "european month" and 200 mils starting 1 april 1931. signed by both parties, with deutsch signature twice both via handstamp. english on one side, hebrew on the other with the hebrew side filled in. can't recall seeing this before. vg, some tears at folds. $50?
* 770 halvaah vehisachon, jerusalem coop. society, ltd. deposit certificate for 5 palestine pounds. 22 may 1932. in hebrew, english and arabic. signed with halvaah vehisachon handstamp in english and hebrew at bottom center. illustrated by bezalel in yellow and brown. minor repairs on back. $50+
* 771 bank of landlords ltd. haifa, palestine. 1934. share certificate issued to mrs. theofila bogopolaski. for 3 shares of 1 palestine pound each. in hebrew and english. 3 signatures. well used with tears and stains. tape repairs on back. rare, 1st i can recall seeing. $50+?
* 772 bne-binyamin cooperative bank. 1934. share certificate. certifies that david caspi of tel aviv is the owner of 2 shares of capital stock. certificate is in hebrew and english with two handwritten changes from printed document. tel aviv instead of jaffa and palestine pounds, instead of egyptian pounds. with logo at right of young man sowing field in shield and eretz israel in hebrew below. f-vf and scarce. items from this bank are seldom offered. $75+?
* 773 nir jewish agricultural cooperative labour assn. ltd. 1934. share warrant for one preferred share of one palestine pound. 5 coupons attached. interestingly the form must be from 1920's because eg (for egypt) is crossed out and pal (for palestine) is hand written for the denomination. bearer is david yodilovitch. in english and hebrew. only the 2nd or 3rd i can recall offering and i believe this is the nicest. $50+
* 774 torah education. british mandate. fund for torah education, "half a shekel".(holy shekel) c. 3 1/2 x 4 1/2" blue on white with map of eretz-israel, and hand stamp in purple. can't recall seeing this previously. $35+?
* 775 otzar mif'alei yam ltd. nd (mid 1930's) 100 mil harbor token. jtm-mt-19ff. used in tel-aviv harbour as small change. otzar mif'alei yam (marine trust ltd) were the owners of this harbor on behalf of the jewish people in palestine. this token is regarded as the "first jewish goverment" issue. "otzar" (just visible) "will be paid against this ticket the sum of 100 mils". this is serial #732 and as opposed to the haffner example, the rubber stamp signature of this token is near the top center. the token is printed on 2nd hand cardboard. f-vf and very rare. we've only offered one 5 mil token which sold in our sale 28f (fall 1998) for $140 on a greatly reduced bid. this unlisted denomination should bring near that or more. this company is still in existence running the tel aviv port. see lot #779 $125+
* 776 templar society share certificate. 1936. 100 shares for the bank der tempelgesellschft (bank of the temple society ltd). with 4 attractive vignettes, in brown and green, with red embossed seal at bottom. in english, arabic and german. certifies that wilhelm aberle is registered as the proprietor of the shares. nice vf, very attractive and very rare. a similar item sold for $250 in our fall 1998 sale. that is the only other one i have sold in at least the past 14 years! $200+
* 777 aden industrial company ltd., tel-aviv, eretz-israel. 1936. share certificate for 5 egyptian pounds. in english & hebrew. form from the 1920's. fine, soiled. we have no record of offering one of these for sale since we've computerized our records in early 1995! i can't recall ever seeing one before. no doubt scarce. $50+
* 778 aid to fighting palestine society of lodz. 1936. unusual polish printed receipt for 5000 zlotych donated by marek urbach of lodz. the committee was formed so that lodz jewry could help their fighting brethren in eretz-israel during a time of a terrorism due to arab riots. signed with a partial handstamp at left and perforated at left also, without the control stub. vf. i can't recall seeing this before. in a few years it would be the people of eretz-israel who would be helping the jews of lodz. $55
* 779 ozar mif'alei yam beeravon mogbal. 1937. share certifcate for one share. well used, tears, tape repaired on back as well as with manuscript notations in hebrew and german. a similar item sold in our last sale for $100. that was a share warrant, this is a share certificate. see lot #775 $50+?
* 780 orient company, general agents. tel-aviv. debenture certificate. 1938 for 16, palestine pounds with levi feinstein to be paid in 29 monthly installments. mr. feinstein left a watch which is being kept by the orient company until the debit is fully paid. one side in english, the other in hebrew with the hebrew side filled in. fine, a few tears. $50?
* 781 erez israel (palestine) foundation fund. keren hajesod. yugoslavia. 1938. contribution note of dr. rosenberger of zvonko belgrade and printed in serbian (?), hebrew and english and featuring a large magen-david at center and a smaller one on each side. with two local revenue stamps as well as a handstamp and a number of signatures. note spelling of "hajesod". $55
* 782 kofer hayeshuv haganah self taxation control tag. (1938-39). a complete shield shaped tag on red and silver "metallic-like" card with embossed design. inscribed in hebrew, "control kofer hayeshuv shield for village and frontier" and serial number on back. small flap on top intact with the maker's name. $55+
* 783 kofer hayeshuv haganah self taxation pair. 1939. 2 different types of receipts both from petah tikva. 1st type is date 12 july 1939 without a shield at top, listing the names of the kofer hayeshuv financial committee members, while the 2nd type (marked bet series) and dated 23 july 1939 has a shield insignia at top along with the names of the committee members. both forms show that 60 mils were donated for 10 tins (of oil?) and both from the same person. #1 has a circular hand stamp while #2 has a 2 line hand stamp. interesting use of two different types of receipts within an 11 day period. vf $70+?
* 784 kofer hayeshuv haganah self taxation wrapper. nd (c. 1940). hebrew printed wrapper for 100 grams of margarine produced from olive oil and eatable fat. wrapper has imprinted kofer hayeshuv 1/2 mil shield stamp, marked 7th series and a serial number. produced in jaffa with seal of koshering from the chief rabbinate of tel aviv jaffa. the wrapper (wax paper like material) shows how deep the self taxation was. with filing holes. no doubt very rare as it seems very unlikely that many of these were saved. (how many margarine or butter wrappers have you saved for the past 65+ years?). green on white. $120+?
* 785 british war comforts fund certificate. nd. wwii. "this establishment is a monthly contributor to the british war comforts fund" "lydda district" which is the present day city of lod. printed by rosenberg and federbusch a company which is still in existence. c 12 x 8 3/4". red, white, pink and blue with vignettes in each corner, plus one at top center (large) and at bottom center a few stains and folds, tape on back, a few minor tears. i can't recall seeing this before. $50+
* 786 palestine post office savings bank book. 1944-1947 (printed 1941). for mrs. gerda grunwald of jerusalem who used this book 26 times as each transaction is noted by an official handstamp. 16 page booklet, c. 4 x 6 1/2" with thick card covers. terms and regulations are printed in english, hebrew and arabic. decent vf $85
* 787 mazpen. bearer bond certificate. 1945. sale of bearer bonds in which the purchaser pays 1 pound 500 mils the first month and then 12 monthly installments of 1 pound each. on the reverse it states that drawings will be made four times yearly for twenty years and "a part of this loan in intended for reconstruction of jewish towns and villages...the purchase of this bond is your duty towards yourself and your family." well used with tears at edges and at folds, but perforation still mostly intact for receipt. 1st i can recall offering. scarce? $50+
* 788 enterprise for emergencies in time of war. 1940's, either during wwii or 1947-1948 period. issued by jerusalem religious organization. 2 small chits. blue, for one loaf of bread and orange for 2 loaves of bread. vf. scarce. $50+?
* 789 council for settlement in eretz israel, jerusalem. 1947. buff yellow voucher for 2 loaves of "grain" breda. for students of yeshiva and their teachers. vf-ef, handstamped and signed on the back. first i can recall seeing. $35+?
* 790 po'alei agudath israel loan and savings fund. 1947. deposit certificate for 50 palestine pounds, issued to rabbi joseph eizenman and his grandson arieh. to be repaid in 3 years with 4% interest. signed in tel aviv, certificate #101. vf, but for tear at top where paper clip was removed. scarce, i can't recall offering one of these in the past. $50+?
* 791 group of 3 cooperative tokens. 1) alonei abba 10 lirot with hole in center as made. this was a moshav coop. for agricultural settlement near tivon and was named for the haganah and wwii hero abba berdiczew who perished in slovakia in wwii. the hole is for placing the tokens on a metal spike. ef; 2) tnuva, good for one bottle of milk, issued by abutbul yehosue (name of agent). g-vg, soiled and 3) electric corporation coop society workers kitchen for 1 bottle of milk, with notation on back "transferring this coupon loses it's value) f-vf. 3 scarce tokens, the last pre-1948. $50?
* 792 ramat hasharon medical clinic. 5, 10 and 20 mils in buff, pink and green. rubber stamped on the back, "city of peace" in hebrew. basically as issued with the 5 mils somewhat stained. scarce pre-1949 issue. $50?
* 793 kalman zik grocery store. (1948-1950). a group of 7 different colored paper tokens, 1/4, 1, 5, 10, 20, 50 & 100 mils. see ellenbogen sale lot #175 (but that lot was missing the 20 mils). the kalman zik store was located in the town of ramat hasharon near tel-aviv. the 7 cardboard chits are all different colors and are au-unc and scarce as such. these date from no later than the early days of the state of israel as the denomination was in mils! $75+?
* 794 shekem return voucher token. 1948. 20 mils. jtm ct-14. "shekem voucher 9/48-24-108 if you return a bottle that you bought in the shekem together with this voucher, you will be reimbursed by the cashier of the canteen 20 mils" in 6 lines in hebrew (except for the numbers). pinkish orange. ef. 1st i can recall offering. haffner priced this at $30, 30 years ago! $50?
* 795 kfar bitzaron cooperative. co-15. issued by the consumer coop. of kfar bitzaron in the 1940's. 100 mils. decent f-vf. this is the only denomination known and like most of the coop. tokens in this section is rare. a similar piece sold for $40 in our last auction. $40
* 796 malal village cooperative. co-17b. 5, 10, 30 and 50 mils. this village in the sharon valley was the first settlement of keren kayemeth land in 1914 and was named "ein-hai". it was abandoned in 1921, but resettled a year later as malal. these pre-state tokens are au-unc. $40+
* 797 office workers cooperative. co-21. a set of tokens issued in the 1940's for the office workers tel-aviv consumers municipality. 5, 10 and 50 mils. haffner description is correct but her illustrations on page 257 are mis-numbered. she has the front of this token shown as co-18 (wrongly) at the top left, but has the correct back pictured at bottom left. the 5 mils token is the haffner plate specimen and is nice au, while the 10 and 50 mils are fine. rare, especially the first being both a plate note and in high grade. $75?
* 798 bursa co. 1940's. mt-5. good for 50 mils and issued by the bursa israel co., fruits and vegtables. black on pale orange. f-vf, with two signatures. this is the haffner plate note and is rare. the first we can recall seeing. $50+
* 799 bursa co. 1949. 500 mils. unlisted token from same company as above. printed on both sides of c. 2 1/2 x 2 1/4" gray paper. 500 pruta "good only until sunday 6.11.49" (nov. 11, 1949) with 3 signatures on bottom. back "will be paid instead of this coupon together with packing the sum of 500 prutah". vg-f and rare. unlisted in haffner. $50+
* 800 cafe tzines. mt-7. 2 mils token c. 1 1/4 x 1 1/4". 1940's. the cafe was located at #1 rines street in tel-aviv. this is the haffner plate example and the only example i can recall seeing. ef and rare. $50+
* 801 h. levy grocery supplies. mt-14. 20 mils. 1940's. green with black print. "grocery store supplies - h. levy, yehuda ha'leyvi - allenby corner 115b/ good for 20 mils in merchandise". signed on back. f, some stains.. haffner plate note. $50+
* 802 miran and goldberg. mt-16. 1940's. 50 and 100 mils grocery tokens for use in this tel-aviv store. the 50 mils is buff, the 100 mils is greenish and is the haffner plate specimen. both with goldbergs signature at bottom and vf. scarce. $50+
* 803 general zionists organization. 1952. central party people's factory. 2 lirot in light and dark blue on white. c 4 3/4 x 3 3/4" on thin paper, perforated at left edge. fine. $35+?
* 804 shoham maritime services ltd-haifa. 10 & 20 pruta paper ship tokens. see haffner (1970) p. 368. the 10 beige pruta token has a black box before the serial #, while the light green 20 pruta has no. before the number. both au-unc and much scarcer than the plastic tokens. see lot 809 below $40+
* 805 tene, ltd. tel-aviv. 1950's. paper token for 2 bags worth 900 prutot, with an additional 50 prutot for each bag. these bags were empty sacks that could be reused. red on beige thin paper, perforated on 3 sides. vf. $35+?
* 806 shmitah fund booklet. 1950's? booklet contains 4 sheets of 5 stamps each in denomination of 100, 250, 500 and 1000 (mils, prutot?). on the bottom portion of each stamp (the tab) are biblical quotations and "donation to the shmitah fund." the shmitah or year seven is taken from the concept that once every seven years the land must lie fallow (and thus unproductive). issued by the agudtah israel, the orthodox religious kibbutz as compensation for the loss of income. scarce. $35+
* 807 petah tikvah consumers cooperative society. packaging vouchers. 50, 100, 125, 150, (2 different colors) and 170 prutot. "this coupon is used by means of payment for packing goods". 6 tokens vg-vf, mostly fine. $50?
* 808 anglo-palestine bank investment co. limited share certificate. 1953. for 1500 shares of 1 palestine pound each and purchased by the apb trustees. certificate # 00119 (low serial number) and signed in hand by siegfried hoofien and aaron barth who were the signers of anglo palestine banknotes and here signed as apb directors. this form was "registered in palestine under the companies ordinance", thus was printed before the state of israel existed, but here it is being used in 1953. has embossed seal at lower right. on back is handstamp that says (in hebrew) "capital increased to 800,000 il..." handwritten manuscript states that new certificate was issued in 1954. signatures cut out on front. scarce? f-vf. $65
* 809 shoham maritime vouchers in booklet. 1958. contains 2 each of 50, 100, 200, 250 and 500 prutahs as well as additional "suggestion" slip. all the vouchers as well as the cover of the booklet are numbered dalat 56581. purchased by "muzaien" traveling on the s/s israel. issued on 17 may 1958 in haifa. see haffner's jtm pages 266 and 267 and the shekel ix, 5, 17-18. various reverse inscriptions on the vouchers. only the 2nd such booklet i can recall offering. see lot 804. $50+
* 810 israel postal money order coupons. 1960's. group of 10 different types of postal money order counterfoils (or receipts). all have serial numbers and each has a dispatch postmark. 2 each of 50 agorot and 1, 3, 5 & 10 lirot. vf $50?
* 811 tsarchania borochov quarter cooperative. co-34. these tokens were issued in the form of stamps and were good for use at the grocery store at this ramat gan cooperative. .500, 1, 2, & 5 lirot. 43 sets of 4 small colored stamps. one set of 4 sold for $15 in the 1976 ellenbogen sale (#143). this lot contains 43 sets of four. $200+
HISTORICAL PAPER (back to top)
* 812 lubavitcher passover koshering. 1932. publicity leaflet for passover haroseth produced in beni-beraq. a number of prominent rabbis of the time endorsed the use of this haroseth including grand rabbi sonenfeld, rabbi aj kook, rabbi menachem nachum twersky, rabbi moshe mordechai epstein and the tzadik rabbi, admor of lubavitch yosef yitzchak scneerohn. dated shvat 5692 about two months prior to pesach. with attractive lilien illustration on front, printed in hebrew on the face and yiddish and english on the back. blue on white and attractive. $85
* 813 union of hebrew barbers. 1935. haifa. ticket for gathering of members to take place on saturday evening 23 feb. 1935 at 9 pm in hotel sterner on brosh street. hand stamp in hebrew and english with "eretz israel" in hebrew only. vf+, small stain. presumably very scarce. $35+?
* 814 tel aviv municipal arp services booklet. 1942. in english, hebrew and arabic. the holder had enlisted in the corps of air raid wardens and fire watchers. with his signature. orange. well used indicating that the holder had carried this with him for quite a long time. dated 28 august 1942. interesting. $45+?
* 815 zionist shekel letter. 1943. mimeographed letter issued by the zionist board in jerusalem and addressed to members of the zionist executive regarding the budget for 1944. "the budget...will be 30,000 palestine pounds...based upon our assumption that the net income from zionist shekels will be 30,000 palestine pounds...the restricted executive must increase its efforts to ensure the desired income from the shekels, as it is the minimal amount required at this time and the needs of the hour...". scarce. vf $100+?
* 816 the jewish state by theodore herzl. the original was published in 1896. this 48 page edition was published by hisadrut hazionit in 1946 on the 50th anniversary of the publication of herzl's landmark tract. vf $45?
* 817 an extraordinary irgun broadside. april, 1947. a large (c. 12 x 18 1/2:) black bordered announcement issued four days after the execution of dov gruner (and his comrades alkahi, dresner and kashani). "beware you prisoners' murderers..they said postponement of the verdict is standing...they cowardly lied while preparing the gallows...in the midst of the night they arrived to watch the murder of our hebrew pow soldier being hanged by a drunk hangman...did not wait for the rabbi...our brother dov a man of steel...they murdered him...and towards death they sang the tikvah, they sang the song of real hope, for the return of zion, for freedom and for victory...rest in peace older brothers; join your former heroes of israel...know that your blood will be revenged. we shall keep fighting. we shall destroy the enemy. we shall free our land. we shall bring freedom and redemption for our tortured people". this message was not only placed on walls as a broadside but also broadcast by the illegal irgun radio station, "the voice of fighting zion". with the irgun logo of greater israel and "rak kach" at upper right and two slogans in code to activate other members. the leader of the irgun was menachem begin who 30 years later was the prime minister of israel. included with this is a 3 paragraph biography (along with a photo) of dov gruner. a very rare item. $300+?
* 818 stern gang broadside. february 1948. "notice" to the hebrew public describing an attack by lechi (lochamei cheirut israel) on a british army train traveling from cairo to lydda. the train was hit by mines and automatic weapons just north of rehvot. 28 british solders were killed and scores of others wounded. "attack was made (symbolically) on the last day of shivah, mourning the mass murders of unarmed jewish civilians in the center of jerusalem..we have announced we will revenge in blood...remember this: no british civilian was hurt...our retaliatory attack was aimed at the british armed soldiers only. note that the train was on its way from egypt to palestine carrying troops as an enforcement, rather than the promised evacuation of british troops...they shoud remember to expedite the evacuation and stop using our land as a military base..." issued on the actual day of the attack and signed "fighters for freedom of israel". has slogans in code to activate other fighters. c. 9 x 12 1/2 with stain at upper right. the broadside was not only made to announce their action but was appealing to public opinion because the haganah was strongly anti-stern gang and their "terrorist" actions. a very late document, less than 3 months before the establishment of the state of israel. rare. $250
* 819 ascent of mount zion certificate. c. 1950. "testfies that----ascended mt. zion in jerusalem in keeping with the ancient tradition of the pilgrimage to the holy city". signed by dr. s.z. kahana, curator. c. 7 x 8". in english and hebrew, some browning along right edge. scarce! a similar piece sold in the nasca r. weiss sale for $35 in 1978! $45+
* 822 unusual israel map postcard. 1995. titled "rabin's 'demilitarized' palestinian state" and depicts how israel is under threat of rocket launchers from the west by sea, from lebanon in the north, the palestinian state to be from the east and from rafah and gaza from the south. more anti-rabin and anti-labor party attacks on both sides of the card which has a printed address of the knesset, jerusalem". protestors are requested to sign the card and send it to the knesset. $75
HOLY LAND GRAPHIC PAPER (back to top)
* 823 jewish national fund. 13 b&w photos on engraved & embossed cards (6 5/8 x 8", image c. 3 1/4 x 4") showing early village life in eretz israel. issued by jnf office in vienna before wwi. printed by max jaffe institute for art, vienna for judische zeitung. rare. scenes include: rishon le zion (2), petah tikva (2), ekron, herod's temple, meron, ramleh, kinereth, hebron, sedschera, zichron yakov etc. 13 different cards, some show minor stains on border, but not on images. $150+
* 824 baron alfons rothschild's vienna house. 1915. austrian real photo postcard, featuring 5 views of his luxurious house and gardens. alfons (alphonse) was the eldest son of james and a prominent banker and philanthropist who lived between 1827 and 1905. with handwritten message in german on both sides and mailed in 1915. fine $40?
* 825 rothschild's villa. 1917. german real photo postcard, featuring a close up look at his huge villa as well as its location on one of the hills of konigstein in taunus. written in german and mailed in 1917. fine $40?
* 826 rothschild's family house. 1929. german real photo postcard showing the impressive five story building which had one time been the rothschild's headquarters in frankfurt. german manuscript message on back and mailed in 1929. nice fine $40
* 827 haifa and acre postcards. 3 cards issued by emile j. farsoun of haifa with photography of j. rosio. all colored and unused about wwi era, one with some stains. 3 others in black and white from the same publisher (one with photo credited to rosio) of haifa railway station, german colony of haifa and st. jean of acre. plus a 7th card showing the sanctuary of mt. carmel in haifa by i. & b. zahlan. 7 cards, all from first quarter of 20th century, the first three colored. all unused.$50+?
* 828 e. m. lilien postcards. 15 cards from the early 20th century, includes bauchtanzerin, der arme mann aus jemen and frauen an der klagemauer. all with some signs of aging, mostly minor, but a few more so. a few duplicates, but a very nice lot. in our sale 36a we sold a lot of only 4 (slightly nicer) for $175. lilien was the first artist to become associated with the zionist movement and worked closely with herzl. he was also a founding member of the bezalel school of art in jerusalem and a foremost art nouveau artist. $200
* 830 moshe ordmann. balfour's visit to jerusalem in 1925. a group of 5 different colored postcards depicting various scenes from balfour's visit to eretz-israel in 1925. vf-ef, very minor pencil graffiti. $50?
* 832 old prague cards. a group of 25 postcard size cards in booklet titled "anqiquitates judaicae pragenses". cards seem to be tinted black and white photographs and are probably from early in the 20th century. scarce. made well before prague became a tourist mecca. vf+ $50+?
* 833 joseph budko woodcuts. 1923 on the back of a germany p-74c 500 mark of 7 july 1922. two woodcuts of a jewish figure with staff. under the right one we see his signature at left and "proberwerk" or trial at right with the date of 19 july 1923. a year after this note was issued it was worthless. budko later came to palestine and became director of the new bezalel school in 1935. we've only offered a few works of budko over the years. fine $50+?
* 834 keren hayesod. 1943/1944 (5704). eretz israel art calendar. title page is a portrait of a young woman in a factory by h. lerski. each page contains two weeks worth of a calendar and a photo or a drawing of jewish life in the holy land during wwii. in black and white and no doubt rare. can either be hung from attached string or made to stand up. ex-wmr 24i #675 $60
* 837 erez israel (palestine) foundation fund. keren hayesod. 1932. london-jerusalem. an official 1 pound certificate issued to asher absian of rehovot. the very attractive certificate is in brown and yellow on beige paper and depicts four scenes of settlers in eretz-israel as well as the koph hay logo of keren hayesod and was designed by the famous bezalel artist m. gur-arieh. the back, in english and hebrew, has the aims of both the association and the jewish agency, "...to do all such acts...for the purpose of carrying out...the balfour declaration as to the establishment of a jewish national home in palestine (erez israel)." vf, a few minor stains. i don't believe we've offered this in quite some time.. $65+
* 838 theodore herzl plaque postcard. 1948. plaque has bust of herzl left at center, moshe rabeinu at right and herzl's redemption of the jews (through the return to eretz-israel) quote at left and "if you will it, it is no dream" below. the plaque itself was made by boris schatz founder of the bezalel. the card is captioned "mazel tov medina, from the redemption generation". in various shades of blue on off-white card. scarce and important item from may of 1948. f-vf. see the shekel vol xvii, #2, page 27-28 $80?
* 839 political propaganda $100 banknote. late 1980's. religious zionists (mafdal/mizrachi) against agudat israel. a us style $100 bill featuring the image of rabbi moshe zeev feldman, chair of the finance committee of the 12th knesset and a member of agudat israel. inscribed in hebrew caution...special money..this is illegal tender in israel. issued by the religious zionist party. with another political message on the back addressed to their own supporters. printed in green and black. au. a similar note sold for $50 in our last sale. $45
* 840 anti ehud olmert propaganda $1 banknote. 1992. a facsimile of a us $1 banknote with the smiling picture of olmert in the center and "ehudollar" in hebrew below. titled "ehud olmert likes the dollar" and lists 6 "smelly" financial cases handled by olmert as a lawyer and a knesset member. "joined the knesset with a "young couple's flat" moved a few years later to a $1, 500, 000 house...enough of likud corruptees". issued by professor yoram lass, a prominent physician and medical lecturer who was soon elected to the knesset. and the labor party, under yitzchak rabin won the election. olmert is prime minister as we began writing this catalog and is still plagued by ethical questions. as we are almost finished he recently resigned as prime minister but is still serving as interim prime minister. a similar item sold for $90 in our sale 37a. $50+
841 A potpourri of Paper. Holy Land and Judaica Postcards, Anti-Semitic notgeld, bonds, Covers, Kibbutz & Coop tokens, Stereocard, WWII Propaganda leaflet, Propaganda note, small change chit, Palestine Money Order, Danzig Synagogue donation receipt, banknotes, advertising items, Judaica series cards, 2 Polish books (1945-1946) on the Holocaust and maps. About 130 items, some of little value, many worth much more. Certainly a great lot for the Judaic paper collector. Should be seen to be appreciated. $250+?
THE HOLOCAUST AND ANTI-SEMITISM (back to top)
why do people collect this stuff? Obviously people collect for different reasons, but most people seem to collect these items as teaching tools for use at home, in schools, synagogues and churches. Many people donate them to national or local museums. There are people who deny the existence or magnitude of the Holocaust. These items are a weapon against them.
In addition to these lots, please see the following lots earlier in the catalog: 255-258, 383-383a, 386-389, 391-400, 463-464, 508, 518-519, 563, 590, 602 and 785.
* 842 leibzoll (body tax). 1787. from kur-mainz in german. 10 kreuzer. the leibzoll was a special tax levied on jews in europe for traveling. this is in blue (seemingly dated 18 june 1787) with hand written notations (probably in addition to the date, the name of the person who had to pay the toll as well as his destination and possibly the name of the person collecting the tax) in pen as well as an embossed seal or stamp. the tax, in addition to being humiliating and degrading, was a source of income for principalities and enabled them to control the comings and goings of "undesirables". f-vf and rare. 1st i can recall offering. $100+
* 843 alfred dreyfus rehabilitation. 1906. french real photo postcard. depicts dreyfus in full military dress wearing his captain's rank and holding his sword, all of which had just been returned to him. behind dreyfus, one of his judges, to the right his honor guard. the short, yet dramatic, scene officially ended the dreyfus affair. the dreyfus affair became the catalyst for herzl and his zionist vision. ef, postally used in the netherlands. rare. included with this lot is more information about the dreyfus affair from the jewish virtual library. $70+
* 844 borkum, germany anti-semitic postcard. 1901. "greetings from borkum". borkum was a small island in the north sea which was known for its popular seaside resort. it was also famous or infamous "as the only spot on earth without a jew". this and the following four lots are all from borkum but all different. this features 3 verses of the anti-semitic "borkum song" which was played at the end of each performance by the local band and joined in by the german crowd. "here at the land of german islands, there is a true german spirit...thus those of our kind come here with pleasure...at the seaside boardwalk only germans can be..our motto is 'germany for germans'. hence, those who come with flat feet, crooked noses and curly hair, can not enjoy the beach, but must be out! be out! be out!" scene at the left shows german crowd singing with hands raised and glasses full, while scene at right shows a group of 7 jewish "types" being refused admission to a hotel. vf or better. mulitcolored with undivided back, thus before 1904, franked and posted 1907 with a receiving postmark from vienna. see the following four lots. $90+
* 845 borkum, germany anti-semitic postcard. 1904. titled "greetings from borkum" features a scene of a well dressed but naive jewish vacationer, being thrown out by an automatic machine in the shape of a giant fist and boot near the railroad station. his travel case and belongings are scattered about and he is about to be hit by an oncoming train. captioned, "er muss hinaus!" (must be out). with manuscript message around image on undivided back postcard. postally used and franked with receiving postmark of bremen. vf and very scarce. see lot above and following three lots. $150+
* 846 borkum, germany anti-semitic postcard. post wwi?. similar to lot #844 (different colors) above but with added 10 line verse overstamped on back, "...borkum, the most beautiful site by the north sea, please remain juden rein (jew free, the same term used later by the nazis during the holocaust to indicate a town which all its jewish population was exterminated or transferred to the death camps)...leave rosenthal and levinsohn alone at norderney (a nearby island) and those who come with flat feet....etc.". this card shows how anti-semitism increased after wwi as jews were blamed for "stabbing germany's back" and thereby caused its defeat. divided back. unused. vf. see lots above and below $140
* 847 borkum, germany anti-semitic postcard. 1929. multicolored, but a later edition showing the same scene, but a vertical designed postcard. the scenes at the hotel are at the top but much smaller, most of the postcard is now devoted to what is now a 5 verse song with the overprinted verse plus more from the lot above now added to the body of the postcard. vf, with manuscript message on back. postally used, sent to karlsruhe. $110
* 848 borkum, germany anti-semitic postcard. 1939. multicolored as above but in a rather modern "clean" design using a different font and different colors but with the same vicious text and illustrations as above. franked and posted to berlin. ef. the fifth of this remarkable series of similar cards. ef $110
849 Borkum, Germany Anti-Semitic Postcard Group Lot. The above five cards as one lot. All are different, yet one can see the same anti-semitic message for nearly 40 years. The high bid for this lot must exceed the combined high bids of the preceeding lots (Lot #844 to 848) to win the lot. If the five postcards stay together as one lot, an additional postcard from 1908 showing the North Sea, Borkum, Norderney and other Islands will be included along with a printout about Borkum and its anti-Semitic history. $600+
* 850 austrian anti-semitic notes. 1920 set of 3. 10, 20 & 50 heller. issued by the anti-semitic bund of austria. all with burning newspapers on the obverse and anti-semitic quotes on reverse. 3 unc notes. $60+
* 851 arnstadt anti-semitic notgeld. 1921 10 pfennig. a set of 6 different notes all with anti-semitic scenes on the back. jewish peddler with sack, jew taking coins out of rear of bird, 2 jewish woman arguing about money, jewish businessman and his "victim", 2 jewish businessmen celebrating after a deal and a jew as a devil. all choice au-unc $100
* 852 brakel. 1922. 2 mark anti-semitic notgeld. both the original blue (or perhaps black) note and the olive green note which replaced the blue note. the blue note depicts a man chained to a pillory which, according to the sexually psychopathic streicher (who published the primitive anti-semitic die stuermer) personifies jewry. the notes were received with so much disfavor that they were quickly withdrawn and replaced by a note with a row of houses in the background, which was seemingly less disgusting. the man is being punished for what is depicted on the other side, he holds his baby out the window while the baby defecates on an unsuspecting german. see the shekel xviii, #4. both notes are au. no circulation on the notes but slightly handled. $90?
* 854 meggenhofen anti-semitic notgeld. 1921 set of 3 austrian notes, 30, 40 and 80 heller, the first and third are black, the 2nd piece is blue. on the left we see an old jew walking with a bag labeled "hargeld" (gold and silver coins) in the direction of switzerland. above we see the dates 1914-1919 and "ursache" and "folgen". cause and consequences. on the right side we see a plane dumping out lots of paper money over towns and cities and the year 1921. the meaning of this note is certainly clear. jews absconded with the hard money during wwi from austria and the result is the hyper inflation now infecting austria. 3 au-unc to unc notes. rare. a similar set sold for $130 in our sale 37a. $100+
* 855 sternberg. 1922. anti-semitic notgeld. the infamous set of 3 notes, which depicts the supposed destruction of the holy wafer by jews. unc. see the shekel vol xvii #4 (an error on the cover says vol xviii, this is july-august 1984). $70
* 857 certificate of identification and visa 1932. for mrs, marie rapaport who was traveling from paris to palestine via the uk (dover!). with numeorus hand stamps, as well as adhesive revenues etc. a most interesting and presumably rare document. well used with stains and tears. issued by the french prefect of police. $75+?
* 858 anti-semitic pin. 1933/34. 30mm aluminum pin, which asks the question "peaceful nation or jewish dictatorship?" it depicts a handsome german with a sword & spade facing a wicked malicious jewish type. ef, rare. $150+
* 859 french anti-semitic postcard. nd. 1930's? black on white card depicting a jewish capitalist trying to control the entire world and in caption below saying out of 100 jews, 80 are capitalists, while out of 100,000 french only 1 is a capitalist. scarce. ef $75+?
* 860 french "anti-semitic" propaganda check. 1936. features leon blum signature under "i am a traitor". the other side shows a picture of blum and 3 pictures of the destruction caused by wwi. c. 10 1/2 x 4". vf. no doubt rare. $75
* 861 jewish relief organization in nazi germany. 1937. official publication of the central committee for aid and structure, by the reichs agency of jews in german better known at the reichsvertretung der juden in deutschland. a manifesto with the printed signature of the famed rabbi leo baeck, "the teacher of theresienstadt". "the current situation requires cooperation...we must handle unknown new paths...in order to build our future...immigration to palestine and other countries...economic support to acquire new trades...principal general education, professional retraining...loans...aid for the youth, for families, for the health of institutions, schools and adult education..." baeck chose his words carefully, the tasks he was facing were huge, so was the fear and danger from the nazi regime. however he did succeed to deliver a calm yet urgent message to his flock. "we have here an historic role...to understand the current situation in germany and to safely survive". dated 5697, that is 1937. four pages printed in brown on two pages only. back partially repaired with archival tape. rare and important. $200
* 862 jewish cultural association of hamburg. 1937-1938. membership card. issued to sophie zuckermann. her photo on inner side, with association hand stamps and signed underneath by the holder and at left by the association board. has perforated label with a value of 75 reichspfennig. outer side has terms and regulations, including "all events are closed - for members only" in nazi germany at this time all jewish events were being held behind closed doors. punched 6 times to indicate monthly dues paid. undoubtedly scarce. it would seem that this organization ran at least partially without nazi supervision as her photo does not show her left ear which the nazis so prominently featured on official photographs of jews (such as passports). $125?
* 863 dachau concentration camp. metal triangle. green with "h" in center and 437 above and various hallmarks on back. the metal tags (see the lot below) were used in the early days of the concentration camps before the nazis became more "efficient" in their methods. these tags could easily be removed from clothing and made escape easier, and probably more importantly they could be placed at the end of a stick and be used as a weapon. the green triangle indicated that this prisoner #437 was a habitual criminal. see lot below. $275+?
* 864 dachau concentration camp. metal triangle. reddish brown with "h" in center and 2243 above and various hallmarks on back. the red triangle indicated that this prisoner #2243 was a political prisoner. see lot above. $275+?
* 865 early haavara document. 1939. official german printed form of the "palastina treuhand-stelle zur beratung deutscher juden g.m. b.h." of berlin. addressed to dr. martin levin of n`9frnberg about payment made directly to the haavara of palestine. the haavara (transfer) company was established in 1933 and was designed to facilitate jewish immigration from nazi germany to palestine. though the nazis had ordered jewish immigrants to surrender most of their property before leaving germany, the haavara agreement let them retain some of their assets by transferring them to palestine as german export goods. there was considerable opposition by jewish groups, especially those who were advocating a boycott of german products, to this plan. however the zionist congress in their 1935 meeting in lucerne overwhelmingly approved the plan and asked the jewish agency to run it. it is estimated that over 60,000 german jews immigrated to palestine via this method. vf. this, dated 10 may 1939, is a very late date for this sort of document, most were from the mid-1930's. the only similar document we can recall offering was in our sale 37a where a similar item, but from 1935, sold for $90. this, from such a late date, may be one of the last such items issued. $75+?
* 866 "j" passport for jew who perished. in the past we've had similar type "j" or "jude" passports for people who were "lucky" enough to escape the nazis. in this case this passport was issued to someone who was transported to litzmannstadt and who perished before the end of the war. issued in vienna on 13 february 1940 to isak schneider with a red "j" on the first page. the photo, along with nazi handstamp, reveals his left ear very prominently. (nazi propaganda says that jews could be distinguished because their left ear was "different"). mr. schneider was born in pressburg on november 6th 1874. obviously there are no visas inside and mr. schneider was not able to leave vienna until october 15th of 1941 when he was transported to litzmannstadt. accompanying this document is a printout from the "the central database of shoah victims' names" from yad vashem which confirms the details. in excellent condition due to the unfortunate fact that it was never used. remarkably this passport survived the war and for that reason alone must be extremely rare. $500+?
* 867 lublin judenrat self taxation chit. nd (1941). lublin located in eastern poland was the capital of the lublin district. it was known as a center of jewish cultural activities with theater, plenty of newspapers, political parties and dozens of jewish organizations. on the eve of the war there were about 40,000 jews in the town (about 1/3 of the population). the local ghetto was established in late march of 1941 with over 34,000 jewish inhabitants, its walls being closed on 24 april 1941 and only special workers and labor groups with specific permits were able to get out for a short while. the jewish social aid system in the ghetto was known as the judische soziale selbst hilfe and in october of 1941, the nazis approved a request of the judenrat to charge 50 grozy from each food card in order to finance the local epidemic hospital. in april of 1942 1 zloty was charged for administrative purposes. these chits are known in 2 values 1 zloty and 5 zlotych. we offer a 5 zlotych chit which is printed in black on pink perforated paper and inscribed rada zyd w. lublinie - oplata 5 zl. that is "judenrat of lublin". it has about a 1/4 of a handstamp in the lower left corner. the chits were handstamped in the center of blocks of 4, thus each and every one should have 1/4 of a handstamp. included with this lot is information with illustrations from the shovel, the magazine of the israel philatelic association. it is entirely in hebrew. very rare. i cannot recall ever offering an item from the lublin ghetto. f-vf $500+
* 868 non-enemy declaration. june, 1941. for bernhard mayer who had been living in zurich the previous two years. showing a list of his assets as he attempts to immigrate to the us. along with this is an official form from the british consulate in zurich with handstamps, signatures and adhesive stamps. most unusual $40
* 870 dutch jewish id card. 15 july 1942. official card issued by the dutch jewish community of rotterdam to dr. david hausdorff, member of the dutch joodsche raad and the jewish community of rotterdam. printed on both sides in dutch and german with holder's photo tied to card by the official handstamp of the jewish community of rotterdam and ratified by the joodsche raad amsterdam with a two line handstamp at top. certifies that hausdorff was born 2 november 1901 and was employed by the jewish community of rotterdam. his signature is underneath the photos and signed in hand by m. zilversmit, president and d. wessel, secretary of the jewish community of rotterdam as well as dr. hk cohen of the amsterdam judenrat. another extremely rare item from the dutch jewish community of wwii. we've offered about 5 or 6 items in the past year or so relating to dr. hausdorf, this is another important item to add to his story. vf $1800+?
* 871 rivesaltes (france) internment camp. 1942. an unusual envelope sent from h. pinkus, inmate #15770, center of german jews in rivesaltes dp camp france. has large green address label of the international red cross committee, central agency for prisoners of war and a circular postmark of the rivesaltes dp camp, pyrenees. on the back is an oval censor handstamp of "ministry of interior, dept. of national security, camp rivesaltes censorship". (see simon page 69, bottom center for this handstamp priced at $350 in 1973!). rivesaltes was located in the so-called free zone of france under the administration of the vichy government and this camp became a holding place for not only jews but gypsies and spanish refugees as well. when the camp became too crowded it became a sorting center for jews who were then sent to death camps such as auschwitz. f-vf and very scarce. comprehensive data about rivesaltes in included. $150+
* 872 dutch amsterdam judenrat circular. january 1942. four page mimeographed letter from the joodsche raad amsterdam, department of medicine addressed to jewish physicans and dentists. discussed how tax laws will impact them following the nazi forced order to sell their clinics and practices of their non-jewish patients as [art of the new racial separation laws. jews were not allowed to treat non-jewish patients. the law had been implemented in nazi germany in june of 1938 and was imposed in the netherlands in november of 1941 10 months after the occupation of the netherlands in may of 1940. the document is very technical in relaying to the physicians that not only were they forced to sell their practices they would also have to pay taxes on their profits from the sale of their practice. the document is really answers to frequently asked questions because the doctors and dentists had been used to one set of tax laws (the dutch) and that had been replaced by the new nazi law that seemed to indicate that even though they received less than fair market price for their practices since they had no alternative but to sell, all the money they received was so-called profit. it is worth noting that at the same time dutch jewry was also ordered to surrender shops and businesses into the custody of a special "verwalter" or supervisor and in august of that same year (1941) were ordered to register and surrender their cash, checks, securities and all other assets at the "lippman-rosenthal" jewish bank, which was in reality a nazi puppet bank.the document we are offering tried to help the troubled and confused jewish doctors in regard to how to file their 1941 taxes. it really shed light on the impossible and complicated situation of the dutch jewry. it really didn't matter in the end because the worst was yet to come. signed in print by a. roosendaal, chairman and s. spijer, secretary of the medical commision of the amsterdam judenrat. pinholes at upper left. vf and very rare. $425+
* 873 warsaw ghetto police badge. jrw rzw around magen david, around ordnungsdienst seuzba porzadkowa. blue enamel on brass. this is the first warsaw police badge i can recall offering since the mid-1990's. scarce. $250?
* 874 hungarian jewish slave laborer id booklet. front marked with zs signifying jew in hungarian. this book was for a jew in an hungarian slave labor battalion. the back cover has general rules for all soldiers. rare. 1st i can recall seeing. an extremely rare item which is missing even in the budapest holocaust museum. $300+?
* 875 rescue and mobilization appeal. 1943-1944. contribution label in which sword emerges out of a menorah at top, inscribed, "tax of a fighting nation. 5703-4. loyal to the readiness of the yishuv and rescue of the diaspora". in red and black on white. perforated at bottom, control part off. f-vf $35
* 876 metal stamp or die. 1940's. brass 51mm. for printing on documents for passage from poland to palestine going through (or perhaps also leaving from) hungary, czechoslovakia and yugoslavia. certainly a rare item. we've never seen another. $60
* 877 ajdc food card. 1945-1946. a food ration card issued by the jewish committee of the american joint distribution comm, bad kissingen. on rather thick white-beige paper has space for bearer's name and shows two oblong rows, each with seven boxes (a weekly card) marked "a" for abendessen (supper) and "m" for mittagssen (lunch). these cards were issued to jewish survivors of the jewish dp camp at bad kissingen. scarce. unc. a similar card sold for $75 in our sale 37d. $70
* 879 holocaust related propaganda postcard. 1980. real photo card, featuring a mass demonstration in paris following the terrorist attack on a synagogue in october of that year. picture shows a jewish survivor in his kl striped uniform with signs saying "we are all french jews". published just 4 days after the attack by the le monde. vf $40
END OF SALE
PRICES REALIZED (back to top)
This sale closed November 13, 2008. The following prices realized are provided as a courtesy to our bidders and customers. All prices are in US Dollars. Asterisk indicates tie bid. We are not responsible for typing, layout or display errors.
Frankly the results of Auction 38D were disappointing to us. While numerous lots sold for well over estimates, quite a number of lots did not receive any bids at all. We think that the quality of material was very good so we don't believe that was the problem. We understand the state of the economy worldwide no doubt played a part in this. We had at least one overseas bidder who cancelled his bids due to the strength of the dollar and his bank freezing his account. We also understand that some of you were disappointed with the lack of pictures in the catalog although we also know that some of you really liked the increased number of color images on our website. We hope to make the website even easier to navigate in our next sale. However we would like to hear your opinion about the lack of pictures in the printed catalog.
* Denotes tie bid.
Lot # - Price Realized
1 - $500.00
2 - $500.00
4 - $150.00
9 - $150.00
10 - $300.00
15 - $610.00
19 - $650.00
28 - $1650.00
32 - $5250.00
33 - $900.00
34 - $325.00
46 - $300.00
48 - $250.00
60 - $100.00
66 - $110.00
71 - $70.00
88 - $240.00
89 - $400.00
90 - $210.00
91 - $75.00
96 - $175.00
97 - $200.00
103 - $400.00
109 - $105.00
115 - $375.00
118 - $210.00
119 - $220.00
121 - $105.00
122 - $125.00
128 - $400.00
129 - $200.00
134 - $55.00
139 - $180.00
141 - $170.00
142 - $160.00
147 - $75.00
153 - $650.00
155 - $75.00
157 - $1600.00
158 - $85.00
162 - $100.00
163 - $47.00
164 - $280.00
165 - $370.00
166 - $110.00
167 - $75.00
169 - $250.00
176 - $47.00
177 - $190.00
178 - $280.00
182 - $75.00
184 - $31.00
185 - $50.00
186 - $100.00
188 - $90.00
189 - $50.00
192 - $100.00
195 - $33.00
199 - $60.00
204 - $31.00
208 - $132.00
212 - $100.00
215 - $590.00
218 - $160.00
221 - $200.00
224 - $75.00
225 - $40.00
226 - $55.00
227 - $120.00
228 - $60.00
229 - $110.00
234 - $40.00
235 - $45.00
236 - $130.00
250 - $170.00
254 - $50.00
259 - $350.00
260 - $1500.00
261 - $350.00
262 - $1250.00
263 - $1650.00
273 - $100.00
274 - $60.00
275 - $145.00
276 - $90.00
277 - $135.00
278 - $130.00
279 - $740.00
*280 - $85.00
281 - $100.00
Lot # - Price Realized
282 - $145.00
283 - $325.00
284 - $175.00
285 - $300.00
286 - $175.00
292 - $115.00
295 - $125.00
296 - $335.00
298 - $200.00
299 - $30.00
300 - $160.00
303 - $400.00
304 - $400.00
305 - $80.00
306 - $290.00
312 - $135.00
313 - $150.00
316 - $185.00
317 - $145.00
318 - $52.00
319 - $175.00
326 - $125.00
327 - $350.00
329 - $30.00
334 - $150.00
335 - $200.00
336 - $160.00
337 - $90.00
338 - $160.00
339 - $90.00
344 - $110.00
347 - $175.00
348 - $1000.00
349 - $1000.00
350 - $1000.00
357 - $55.00
363 - $450.00
365 - $75.00
368 - $90.00
371 - $75.00
374a - $275.00
375 - $70.00
377 - $45.00
379 - $65.00
383a - $500.00
385 - $75.00
386 - $100.00
387 - $100.00
388 - $150.00
391 - $200.00
392 - $200.00
394 - $250.00
395a - $1000.00
395b - $400.00
396 - $125.00
397 - $220.00
398 - $220.00
399 - $200.00
400 - $200.00
401 - $375.00
402 - $425.00
403 - $425.00
405 - $275.00
406 - $180.00
413 - $110.00
414 - $200.00
415 - $75.00
416 - $85.00
417 - $160.00
418 - $220.00
420 - $200.00
421 - $280.00
422 - $250.00
424 - $1600.00
426 - $260.00
427 - $190.00
428 - $160.00
431 - $450.00
435 - $220.00
436 - $30.00
438 - $275.00
440 - $250.00
441 - $1750.00
447 - $150.00
449 - $100.00
453 - $190.00
454 - $63.00
455 - $75.00
457 - $410.00
458 - $600.00
Lot # - Price Realized
459 - $500.00
460 - $1000.00
461 - $2000.00
462 - $3300.00
468 - $25.00
469 - $65.00
470 - $60.00
471 - $45.00
475 - $35.00
476 - $235.00
477 - $150.00
478 - $250.00
479 - $110.00
480 - $65.00
481 - $55.00
484 - $110.00
486 - $70.00
487 - $105.00
489 - $50.00
490 - $50.00
491 - $55.00
492 - $50.00
494 - $1100.00
495 - $110.00
496 - $100.00
497 - $60.00
498 - $40.00
499 - $200.00
501 - $200.00
502 - $300.00
508 - $20.00
510 - $40.00
511 - $200.00
515 - $30.00
516 - $75.00
518 - $100.00
519 - $35.00
524 - $25.00
525 - $60.00
528 - $70.00
529 - $75.00
530 - $75.00
531 - $130.00
532 - $25.00
534 - $35.00
538 - $120.00
547 - $75.00
548 - $110.00
552 - $25.00
554 - $55.00
557 - $820.00
560 - $40.00
564 - $50.00
573 - $15.00
574 - $35.00
575 - $60.00
577 - $100.00
582 - $30.00
585 - $40.00
586 - $190.00
587 - $120.00
589 - $45.00
590 - $50.00
594 - $30.00
596 - $25.00
598 - $170.00
599 - $45.00
603 - $75.00
619 - $125.00
621 - $55.00
639 - $65.00
641 - $80.00
642 - $675.00
643 - $75.00
646 - $100.00
647 - $100.00
648 - $65.00
649 - $80.00
650 - $250.00
651 - $285.00
652 - $65.00
654 - $190.00
655 - $190.00
656 - $65.00
658 - $175.00
659 - $190.00
660 - $80.00
Lot # - Price Realized
661 - $80.00
662 - $65.00
664 - $70.00
665 - $70.00
667 - $500.00
668 - $180.00
669 - $180.00
670 - $175.00
671 - $50.00
672 - $55.00
673 - $625.00
681 - $200.00
682 - $665.00
683 - $120.00
684 - $520.00
689 - $80.00
690 - $550.00
691 - $465.00
692 - $450.00
695 - $650.00
699 - $75.00
701 - $230.00
703 - $400.00
704 - $950.00
708 - $175.00
709 - $120.00
710 - $550.00
714 - $750.00
715 - $120.00
716 - $320.00
717 - $35.00
725 - $465.00
730 - $525.00
731 - $260.00
733 - $335.00
734 - $175.00
735 - $175.00
736 - $75.00
738 - $825.00
739 - $200.00
743 - $175.00
744 - $75.00
746 - $50.00
748 - $40.00
749 - $40.00
750 - $120.00
753 - $150.00
756 - $150.00
757 - $75.00
759 - $180.00
763 - $70.00
767 - $180.00
771 - $110.00
772 - $135.00
773 - $50.00
776 - $325.00
782 - $65.00
785 - $85.00
790 - $100.00
793 - $65.00
794 - $85.00
797 - $100.00
800 - $50.00
806 - $25.00
807 - $50.00
827 - $50.00
828 - $200.00
829 - $70.00
831 - $25.00
832 - $30.00
833 - $30.00
842 - $300.00
850 - $50.00
853 - $20.00
855 - $50.00
857 - $90.00
858 - $125.00
860 - $60.00
863 - $350.00
864 - $400.00
865 - $90.00
866 - $1200.00
867 - $850.00
868 - $75.00
869 - $75.00
870 - $1500.00
871 - $125.00
872 - $600.00
873 - $300.00
874 - $500.00
878 - $160.00